Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

It doesn't feel real?

(27 Posts)
sparkleshine83 Thu 14-Jan-16 12:28:40

Hi all,

Just got pregnancy positive two days ago, feeling kinda surreal. I don't have any symptoms yet - well, maybe needing the loo a bit more? - and I feel almost like an imposter. I told my boss today as I wanted to warn her I might have reasons to be off and I had an upcoming booking in session with the midwife in a few weeks. She was surprised and then lovely about it but I'm confused she seemed almost more excited than I was? When does it feel real? I have taken three tests, all positive... I don't 'feel' pregnant. What does feeling pregnant feel like?!

Nicky333 Thu 14-Jan-16 12:30:53

Ha! I'm almost 22 weeks and it still doesn't feel real wink

HoggleHoggle Thu 14-Jan-16 12:32:24

Sorry can't help! I am 4 weeks pg with dc#2 and if it wasn't for the fact that I have saved a photo of my positive pg test, I think I would have decided I made the whole thing up!

I find these weeks until the scan excruciating. It felt real for me after the scan with dc1.

brookeberry Thu 14-Jan-16 12:38:50

Congrats! I didn't believe it until the 12 scan. Seeing is believing! Although you may believe it sooner than that if your boobs are agony and you start throwing up (8 weeks for me)! grin

Everythinggettingbigger Thu 14-Jan-16 12:48:27

21 weeks now with DS2 and definitely FEEL pregnant constantly! I started to feel pregnant around 9 weeks, cant explain why, just did. My DS1 is 5 now so that seems like too long ago to remember these things!

NHKX2 Thu 14-Jan-16 13:08:15

I've had a virtually symptom-free pregnancy, so for me it definitely wasn't real until I saw a baby at the 12-week scan. Then it felt unreal again until a real bump started to form at about 16-18 weeks. Honestly, it still won't really hit me until a see a baby!

Thurlow Thu 14-Jan-16 13:12:38

Umm.. when DD was about 3? grin

Even being sick for months didn't make it real for me. I just felt like I had the world's worst illness.

Don't worry about it, and congratulations!

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Thu 14-Jan-16 13:27:53

Often symptoms don't kick in until 8 weeks (ish?) - but I'll agree with PPs, I'm 24 weeks today, had 4 scans so I KNOW there is a baby in there (and now I feel it kicking all day long!) but I still don't believe it!

maybebabybee Thu 14-Jan-16 13:46:06

32 weeks, can feel baby kicking like a ninja in there, 8 weeks til due date, 2 weeks til maternity leave and still doesn't feel real OP grin

bittapitta Thu 14-Jan-16 13:49:00

Symptoms tend to start around 6 weeks so you'll have a couple of weeks of disbelief until the sickness sets in wink OR you'll be blissfully well all the way through! It doesn't feel very real until you've given birth to be honest, and even then you're so sleep deprived it feels very very strange for a while. But let people get excited for you, it's okay to not feel over the moon all the time! Congratulations.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Thu 14-Jan-16 13:56:28

I still don't believe it and I'm 36 weeks and just back from a scan!

Congratulations X

Trinpy Thu 14-Jan-16 13:58:33

I went into complete shock (actual shaking, sweating shock) when my baby was born because it hadn't felt real up until that point. Currently 30 weeks with baby no.2 and I frequently forget I'm even pregnant. Sometimes I think I must be coming down with flu, then I remember I'm pregnant and that's why I feel like crap all the time. Enjoy! grin

MiddleClassProblem Thu 14-Jan-16 14:00:15

I think it's total limbo at the beginning because the doctors don't confirm anything so it's not until the heartbeat or scan that you go, oh good it wasn't a dodgy test or in my head (I know, no false positives).

Having said that I couldn't entirely associate that the pic on the screen was what was in my belly. I was pregnant and felt everything but the logic that I had a person in me just didn't click entirely.

BrienneofQarth Thu 14-Jan-16 14:02:53

37+4 here and still can't get my head around the fact there'll be a baby in the house again soon! Despite the heartburn, the massive stomach, the carpal tunnel, inability to bend over (I could go on...) I still can't believe we're having a baby. So you're not alone!

MiddleClassProblem Thu 14-Jan-16 14:32:17

It's also weird and then you know other people who coo/ed over their bump and seemed really attached but you just never had that.

DD is 1 and it wasn't until she came out was it real and the when you think you had questions before you suddenly have a tsunami of them

madsaz76 Thu 14-Jan-16 14:37:39

God not only did it feel unreal but the whole first trimester was sooo boring. Waiting for a 12 week scan took forever and the whole making up excuses for being under the weather thing was a nightmare too.

Middle bit was odd - still a brain / feeling split but I did at least believe.

36 + 4 and it definitely feels real. Feel attached to bump but mainly from having regular conversations begging him/her to not kick my horribly bruised ribs which are mu current crippling source of pain!

SomebodySedateMe Thu 14-Jan-16 14:43:54

35 weeks and it still doesn't feel real! Even though there's a tiny foot lodged under my ribs right now.

sparkleshine83 Thu 14-Jan-16 14:53:10

Thanks you guys, thank god I'm not alone in this!

Bumpsadaisie Thu 14-Jan-16 14:56:10

Mine are 6 and 4 now - sometimes I remember that two people in the world are growing up with me as their mother - and it STILL doesn't feel real! I remember being a child and looking up to my mother, and her singing to me and tucking me in and insisting I tried a sprout and put my coat on and all the rest of it, and then when I realise that that's I am to my kids, I can hardly believe it.

You're not alone.

emm2016x Thu 14-Jan-16 14:57:51

Hiya and congratulations!!
I felt the same way when I figured out I was pregnant even though from the day I found out I was pregnant I was extra careful about everything I did and ate lol.
It started to feel real for me when I had a noticeable bump and I don't mean the bump YOU see I mean the bump that everyone else notices. At work, I didn't tell many people until they noticed my growing baby inside of me and from then on it felt more and more real because people were constantly asking questions and talking to me about it.
Now I'm 9 days away from due date - couldn't feel realer now grin

Newlywed123 Thu 14-Jan-16 17:13:21

Firstly congratulations flowers

I'm 36+3, baby can come any day from monday and it still doesn't feel real!

kiki22 Thu 14-Jan-16 19:44:59

I'm 7 weeks with my second and don't feel pregnant just feel unwell. Every time someone says are you excited I just can't out my feelings into words that would make sense to anyone, I'm scared to get excited in case it turns out I'm making it all up even though I've got loads of symptoms. My first pregnancy felt real once I had a bump and movement.

londonrach Thu 14-Jan-16 20:11:33

Coming up to 12 weeks and still think the four tests and now the afternoon sickness is wrong. Wish the dictor had confirmed it! The surgery wasnt interested.

Icklepickle101 Thu 14-Jan-16 21:40:51

It's just hit me today that I'm having a baby, there have been lots of tears.

I'm 38 weeks and have a ELCS booked tomorrow....

CityMole Thu 14-Jan-16 22:40:11

I can relate to this! A lot of it still feels quite abstract!
Good luck for tomorrow, ickle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now