Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to buy for baby to sleep in?

(16 Posts)
milkyman Wed 13-Jan-16 19:05:57

What do people recommend? Snuzpod, cocoonbaby, sleepyhead, crib?? I have bought a gro swaddle already.

Runningupthathill82 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:22:46

Moses basket then a cot, I'd say - Moses basket easy for moving around the house, then the cot will last you a couple of years.

Sunshine511 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:27:29

I agree with PP. that's what I had and found it perfect. I would steer clear of buying any additional sleep related products. You don't know what the baby will need or like until they arrive. Like you, I bought my daughter a gro swaddle but she hated being swaddled. Every baby is different. I'm hoping I'll get some use out of it when this baby arrives! smile x

Dixiechick17 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:39:57

My DD didn't settle well in the moses basket so we bought the Sleepyhead and a crib for it to go it. Sleepyhead was great as it was very portable, she was so happy in it that we have just bought the next size up for her smile

Every baby is different though, my DD loved to be swaddled, others don't.

Dixiechick17 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:41:47

We didn't buy the sleepyhead until she was a couple of weeks old. The moses basket belonged to a family member so we hadn't wasted any money with her not liking it.

Daffydil Wed 13-Jan-16 19:43:16

Bedside cot for us - lots of options these days.

Many of the benefits of cosleeping without the scary bits.

badg3r Wed 13-Jan-16 19:45:39

We only bough a cot before DS was born. When he was a couple of days old we got a Moses basket which was great for the first three months or so. He sleeps in the bed and has managed a whole two hours in his cot since he was born! So I would buy as little as possible then see how the baby is when they're here.
Disclaimer: at DS nursery he will happily sleep an hour a day in the exact same model of cot. The mind boggles!

Gunting Wed 13-Jan-16 19:49:17

My ds is 3 months and he sleeps in a wooden rocking crib that cost £50 he's slept through almost since birth so I don't think what they sleep in makes much difference

Roobix04 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:53:25

We skipped the moses basket as it doesn't last long. Dd slept in a crib in our room till 7 months and then went straight into a cot bed that'll last her a few more years yet.

purplewhale Wed 13-Jan-16 19:55:50

We've got a swinging crib, it's bigger than Moses basket and it's useful to rock him to sleep. He's 4 months and far too big for Moses now. We have one downstairs and I put him in it for naps but he can't roll or move. I'm about to give it back as we were lent it.

JasperDamerel Wed 13-Jan-16 19:58:18

What I should have done when I was pregnant is dismantled my bed and replaced it with a king size mattress on a pallet frame or futon base, for easy cosleeping, with a separate full size single mattress when DC was a bit bigger.

As I was, I took what was probably the second best option and got a bedside cot.

minipie Wed 13-Jan-16 20:01:14

Sleepyhead: has all the benefits of a moses basket (portability etc) but it's better - 1) babies seem to much prefer it 2) you can put it next to you in bed and it's a very safe way to cosleep and 3) they last till 6/7 months so longer than the moses basket. You can buy them second hand for about half price.

Some babies will sleep anywhere, others need more help. My suggestion would be to ask around family and friends and see what you can borrow (likely a moses basket) - if it turns out you have a more tricky sleeper then you can "upgrade" to the sleepyhead or similar

Jibberjabberjooo Wed 13-Jan-16 20:02:17

We had a crib then they had a cot bed when they went into their own room at six months. We had a moses basket downstairs for naps.

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 13-Jan-16 20:21:55

We've got Moses basket and Chicco Next2Me, which is a bit bigger than a Moses basket (I hear as they grow they can wake themselves up bashing their arms on a Moses basket)

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 13-Jan-16 20:24:02

DC1 - moses basket for night and we would bring it into the living room during the day and use either that or the bouncer chair

DC2 - crib for the bedroom which lasted way way longer than the moses basket, then we got a Tiny Love 3 In 1 Napper for the living room which was hands down the best item we ever bought.

StellaAlpina Wed 13-Jan-16 21:45:14

We are dithering between getting a snuzpod and a Chicco next to me. The chicco looks a bit wider but apparently it's hard to take the side bit up. Plus you can take the top bit of the snuzpod off.

I'm worried about getting an expensive fancy thing and the baby hating it or growing out of it really quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now