Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

salicylic acid

(6 Posts)
celeryeater Mon 11-Jan-16 19:11:33

I'm 22 weeks pregnant and in early pregnancy i stopped using my clinique anti blemish solutions clinical clearing gel because it contains salicylic acid which I read can cause birth defects. I've still been using the 3 step clinique programme which includes a clarifying lotion which I've just looked and also contains salicylic acid. Now I'm so worried i could have hurt the baby - even though both the scans went fine and there weren't any deformities. I read the effects are similar to taking aspirin. Has anyone else used face stuff with this ingredient in?

CityMole Mon 11-Jan-16 19:18:57

unless you were drinking it, I would bet that your baby will be fine. There is some evidence of birth defects linked to taking it orally, and a small proportion of doctors (mainly in the US) will cover their arse by saying you shouldn't use it topically. If you are worried, then stop using it for the rest of your pregnancy, but try not to worry about past use.

CityMole Mon 11-Jan-16 19:20:59

Also, be critical of what you are told and who tells you it- aspirin is not in itself a baddy- they often prescribe it as a daily dose to high risk women from 12 weeks onwards in pregnancy. (I am on it)

Nousername2015 Mon 11-Jan-16 19:21:30

Oh dear, I use the clinique 3 step solution too! If it was dangerous there would be a warning on the bottle and it would be more widely publicised. I'm 38+5, scans and check ups have all been fine.

autumnboys Mon 11-Jan-16 19:24:59

I have used 3 step for years and all three boys are fine. I'm sure it'll be okay. smile

celeryeater Mon 11-Jan-16 20:49:53

Thanks everyone, I feel better knowing other people have used it and been fine. I think I am just a big ball of anxiety lately, so tired and teary the whole time! Just need to find a different skin care regime now as I have two big spots on my chin too that desperately need sorting out 😥

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now