Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

shaking baby

(16 Posts)
zannyminxoxox Sat 09-Jan-16 22:25:32

Has anybody felt their baby seem like they are shaking inside them. Im 28 weeks and I was lay down in my left side this evening and the baby felt like he had started shaking was a really weird feeling never had it with my other two

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 09-Jan-16 22:27:08

Hiccups? Dreaming? I've heard of this before, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

HappyInL0nd0n Sat 09-Jan-16 23:02:54

Relax. Completely normal. Week 28 is all about lung development and fetal hiccups. Google it. I'm 28 weeks too - feels totally crazy, hey? smile

zannyminxoxox Sun 10-Jan-16 08:53:10

I did google it and read about a baby having a cord round their neck and their baby would shake when it got too tight so came in here after reading that for some reassurance. I don't think it was hiccups it was constant for about a minute just shaking. My son had hiccups all the time when I was pregnant with him and still remember that feeling smile He seems ok anyway in there still moving about it was just a weird sensation that I have never had before so just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced it smile thank you for your comments makes me feel better smile

Whoknewitcouldbeso Sun 10-Jan-16 08:54:56

I kind of know what you mean, where it feels like a vibration? I did get that on and off, now 36 weeks and things seem fine so try not to let it scare you.

RNBrie Sun 10-Jan-16 08:56:29

Mine both did this...the first time I told my midwife i was sure the baby was having epileptic fits confused

She said it was normal and needless to say neither of them had a cord entanglement issue or epilepsy!

I did find it quite disturbing though, and I can't really remember but I think it was only a thing for a couple of weeks.

IndomitabIe Sun 10-Jan-16 09:01:52

My DS did this. It was like a washing machine had started in there.

It turns out that as a baby, if he was excited or angry he would shake his fists. This was what I could feel!

Nousername2015 Sun 10-Jan-16 09:04:00

I've had it, started at around 26 weeks and gradually decreased from about 32 weeks onwards. Like you all I had in my head waa cord issues. It didn't help that any midwife I spoke to had never heard of it. I have had a scan since and the cord is not tangled, the most plausible explanation I have been given is that it is caused by the developing nervous system (but I don't think anyone knows what it is really!)

Bluebell20 Sun 10-Jan-16 10:41:52

Speak to your midwife! smile

TheBubGrower Sun 10-Jan-16 11:37:38

I've had this too. Feels like he's shaking his whole body. If you look at videos of babies in the womb though they do some pretty crazy all body movements when they're kicking punching and wriggling all at once! I've heard the nervous system development theories and cord round the neck but apparently it's incredibly INCREDIBLY rare that the baby can do themselves any harm by wrapping the cord around themselves in the womb. I've also read that if the baby is sucking their thumb and they lose grip they might shake their head vigorously looking for it! Cute. If you're worried I guess speak to your mw but if heartbeat is ok at appointments and baby is moving as normal I would guess it's completely fine

zannyminxoxox Sun 10-Jan-16 12:59:03

I am going to tomorrow bluebell when I see her thank you smile

mrsjskelton Mon 11-Jan-16 10:06:58

Yea had lots of this! From quite early on and I found it alarming! I've heard it can be muscle spasms too and totally normal smile

BettyBi0 Thu 14-Jan-16 12:38:23

I had this too. Got so scared that baby might be epileptic it having some kind of seizures but she was absolutely fine. She got hiccups all the time too but the shaking feeling felt very different and quite scary tbh. I mentioned it to my co suitably and he said it was very normal and part of the neurological development

Nousername2015 Thu 14-Jan-16 13:26:00

Update for you OP as I had my baby on Tuesday! He does the exact same thing in his sleep and startles himself, it's so cute to watch (not so cute when he wakes himself up though) but he is completely fine smile

zannyminxoxox Thu 14-Jan-16 19:38:21

Thats good to hear Nousername. He hasn't done it aince I spoke to the midwife and ahe says if it happens again to phone the hospital, which panicked me a bit, but he seems ok still moving about like usual, so hoping it was a random thing he did. I have a scan in a couple of weeks, which will hopefully reassure me about the cord

Chintaria Thu 14-Jan-16 21:01:48

Zanny I had this when I was expecting dd, and just as Nouser said my dd did it after she was born too. It was like a vibrating feeling inside, and it gave me a start when she did it while sleeping in my arms at a few days old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now