Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I have been induced by now?

(7 Posts)
hannahbanananana Thu 07-Jan-16 17:04:26

I'm 38+5 and have pregnancy induced hypertension. BP started creeping up at around 24 weeks. Was put on labeetalol 200mg twice daily and after a few hospital admissions it was increased to three times a day. I have been having extra growth scans and see a DR every four weeks. At my last scan and clinic appointment my BP was around 140/100. Was told to see community midwife once a week and come back to clinic at 41 weeks. Saw my midwife at the beginning of the week and BP was 140/97 so she sent me to triage and said it the was likely they'd discuss induction. Saw a Dr who said they would look at increasing my medication but would check with his senior. About half an hour later, a midwife came back and said Dr isn't concerned and I could go home, just see my community midwife next week as planned. My community midwife was initially shocked that they were letting me go to term while my BP was stable on medication, but even more so now that it is creeping up again. Does this sound right to you? There has been no mention of inductions, sweeps etc. just that I will see a Dr at 41 weeks. I can't help feel this is dangerous. Am I able to request induction before 41 weeks?

UptownFunk00 Thu 07-Jan-16 18:46:48

Seems odd to me I was induced at 39 weeks with bottom number in 90s - I'd get a second opinion.

kamillaw Thu 07-Jan-16 21:23:45

Bottom number 100? I wasn't allowed home! How are you feeling? Maybe if you are well with no protein present nor excessive swelling they are not massively concerned about you. When do you next see the MW?

hannahbanananana Thu 07-Jan-16 22:05:58

Hmm, I find it really worrying that no one seems to be making a plan for delivery any time soon. Everyone I have spoken to is surprised that I've been allowed to get this far. I don't have any other symptoms at the moment, other than headaches, but they don't seem bothered about that at all. I'm seeing my community midwife on Monday (I'll be 39+2). Do you think there's anything she'd be able to do? She too is confused as to why there has been no mention of induction x

WineSpider Thu 07-Jan-16 22:12:13

Have a read of the NICE clinical guidelines for hypertension in pregnancy :

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg107

emmac3616 Fri 08-Jan-16 19:15:12

I would get a second opinion - i only had slightly raised BP for me (135/77) the other day and they were worried and telling me to come back, and I had no other symptoms (and had been running around like a loon prepping for Christmas and my DS' bday party)... I would not be at all happy with that if I were you - especially as at 38wks baby is effectively full term.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Sat 09-Jan-16 08:33:20

I was induced at 38 weeks with hypertension after a weeks stay in hospital to stabilise my bp. I hope you've gone back to get a second opinion, because it doesn't sound like they are following guidelines

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now