Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chelsea & Westminster or St Thomas Hospital in London?

(11 Posts)
Lilly7981 Wed 06-Jan-16 22:11:52

Hi there,

we are 6 weeks pregnant and are now looking to get our appointment in a hospital in SW London. The St. Georges in out of the question for us due to bad experiences in the past and so we were wondering which one of the two is best for Antenatal care as well as birth and post natal care.

Any suggestions/ideas or even recent experiences?

Very much appreciated!

SquirmOfEels Thu 07-Jan-16 09:39:14

The big London hospitals are actually much the same, really. So I'd go with whichever has the easiest and most reliable journey to it.

Was 'we' a typo, or are you asking for two pregnant women? If the latter, you haven't said who the other pregnant woman is, or why you are considering this together. I was wondering if you co-ha tied it live very close. But even if you do, you can't really co-ordinate maternity care to any meaningful extent (one of you might need hospital rather than community antenatal care, or even full consultant care) let alone delivery. Though the point about journeys would apply to you both.

JassyRadlett Thu 07-Jan-16 09:41:28

From what I've heard of both, plus my experiences of the Thomas's EPU, I'd go Thomas's every time.

emmac3616 Thu 07-Jan-16 10:26:43

I had my first at C&W and am going back there this time due to very positive experience - the new birthing unit is like a spa too! That being said, I'm sure you'd find just as many positive stories about St. Thomas', the majority of my NCT class went there last time and had no problems. I do love C&W though!

Eastend2015 Thu 07-Jan-16 10:39:39

We are at St. Thomas's having had very good experiences with the EPU there and their care has been great so far (16 weeks at the moment).

Fifi10 Thu 07-Jan-16 12:10:16

Surely 'we' is OP and her partner? I'm intrigued nonetheless.

Loraline Thu 07-Jan-16 12:20:47

I went through C&W last time and am doing so again now. Hoping to use the new birth centre which looks amazing.
Main point to consider though is that the C&W local midwife teams are really local to me, so easy to get to antenatal appointments and they were able to slot me in to see me easily post-natally as I was local to them.

pregnantgrump Thu 07-Jan-16 12:28:31

I was at Tommies. It was great. My sister in law was at Chel&West and she was pleased with the care. So you can't lose really. They're both great places. The only thing I would say is to check the stats for closures. If memory serves Tommies hasn't recently closed to new admissions (ie been full) temporarily but C&W has.

oneconfusedchick Thu 07-Jan-16 12:52:46

Using 'we' are pregnant is quite a common term it just means 'us as a couple'.

Lilly7981 Thu 07-Jan-16 15:12:01

Hi,

thanks so much for the replies, much appreciated. And to all the intrigued, yes 'we' means us as a couple (m/f). grin We're checking them both out in the next few days.

Thanks!

scarednoob Thu 07-Jan-16 22:50:57

C&W was great for me - and I had 3 weeks on the ward before DD was born! V happy with the care and facilities; the admin is really frustrating, but I think you'll get that anywhere on the nhs... Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now