Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ceph position

(10 Posts)
NotSpeaking Wed 06-Jan-16 17:43:38

What is it? Looked on web but still don't understand. Need it in normal English please

DinoSnores Wed 06-Jan-16 17:45:42

Head down, that's all it means! smile

YouCantCallMeBetty Wed 06-Jan-16 17:45:51

Short for cephalic? If so, means baby is head down (ie not breech). Generally good thing unless you're hoping for a breech baby...

evilgiraffe Wed 06-Jan-16 17:52:32

Yep, short for cephalic presentation - ie head down.

ChicaMomma Thu 07-Jan-16 10:27:14

It's a good word if you hear it!!

'Breech' and 'transverse'; not so good.

Cephalic is the ideal position for baby to be in.
97% of them will be cephalic by full term- hoping i'm not one of the 3, my DS is transverse at the moment!

NotSpeaking Thu 07-Jan-16 11:21:30

Yes I'm hearing transverse too. Midwife doesn't know, find out tomorrow

dizzylemon Thu 07-Jan-16 11:24:42

Not meaning to hijack the thread (sorry!) but when do midwives start discussing the babies positioning with you?

Nousername2015 Thu 07-Jan-16 11:30:36

dizzy It was first mentioned to me at 31 weeks which to be honest is very early as baby can still flip around quite easily. My midwife only really paid attention from 34 weeks, I had a breech baby at 31 weeks and was told I may be referred for a scan to check at 36 weeks but by 34 weeks he had turned and gone head down.

Panther79 Thu 07-Jan-16 11:51:19

dizzy I was told yesterday that it will be discussed more at 36 weeks.

I am 33 weeks this week and yesterday at a growth scan baby was breech.
Two days ago at another scan baby was transverse.
Two weeks ago at another growth scan baby was head down.

As baby is moving so much and still early days, the consultant said they would start discussing positioning etc at 36 weeks when I have another growth scan.

ChicaMomma Thu 07-Jan-16 14:07:29

Position/lie is rarely mentioned pre 30 weeks, and even at 30 weeks it's not 'officially' a breech diagnosis per se. It only becomes an issue post 36 weeks.

Here in ireland it's HSE (NHS) policy to hospitalise you after 37 weeks if you are presenting as transverse- as there's a risk (albeit low) that if you go into labour and baby is transverse, it can choke on the cord (cord prolapse). Then you are monitored in hospital from 37-39, and sectioned at 39 if no change.. you cannot deliver a transverse baby vaginally.

Breech is not quite as serious and technically a baby that is breech can still be delivered vaginally, if your care team agree to it- although the vast majority of those are delived by ECS (elective cesarean).

Only 3% of babies will not be cepahlic by full term, so the statistics are in our favour.. hoping my little demon has turned ceph by next tuesdays scan, i'll be 35+3- if he's still transverse, then they do another scan at 37 weeks and mandatory hospitalisation at that stage! AAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now