Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ENDOCRINE TUMOURS SCAN

(6 Posts)
julia02 Wed 06-Jan-16 14:18:19

Hi! I'm 26. no children before. Dr at GP diagnosed me with high level of prolactin. I have to do an check up for endocrine tumours. has anyone done this? what will happen to me??? im so scared....:'(

EagleRay Wed 06-Jan-16 14:25:14

I can only think they suspect you of having what I have - I was found to have a very high level of prolactin about 7 years ago and had an MRI scan on my brain (to see if the pituitary gland had any abnormalities). I was found to have a very small tumour (it's called a microprolactinoma) and its controlled by taking medication. It's benign so not a huge worry 

You've posted this in pregnancy - are you pregnant or concerned about future pregnancies?

Please don't worry and about if you want to ask any more questions x

julia02 Fri 08-Jan-16 13:08:01

Thnx EagleRay for your comment. I am not pregnant, but I am trying to be. Now I am afraid if I will be pregnant, after taking medicines??? What about you, have you been pregnant after this? Many thanks dear xxx

DinoSnores Fri 08-Jan-16 13:16:26

The endocrinologists will see you and likely request an MRI of your pituitary to check, just as eagle says, for a tumour. As I always say to my patients, the word tumour just means a lump and doesn't mean cancer!

If you require medication for something like a microprolactinoma, you can be on it until you become pregnant and then just stop it when you do. Lots of people get pregnant after treatment and have thoroughly unremarkable pregnancies.

Do ask your doctor about all of this as they should be able to reassure you. This, for an endocrinologist, is all very, very routine and bread and butter stuff, which I say to reassure you!

originalusernamefail Fri 08-Jan-16 13:34:41

I was diagnosed with microprolactinoma at 28 after no periods after stopping the pill to TTC. I'm now 31 and today is my due date for DC2. I fell pregnant within a month of starting treatment both times.mi had to have an MRI to confirm diagnosis and remain under an endocrinologist during my pregnancies which apart from HG and SPD have been uneventful (up to now!).

EagleRay Fri 08-Jan-16 13:59:26

I realised after replying to this thread that I had already replied to an older thread of yours, and you mention your prolactin levels are 600? My levels were in the 2-3000 region but brought down to about 500 through medication.

And since being diagnosed, I have had one baby, and am about to have another, so don't think it's affected my fertility. And all this despite being 44 and perimenopausal smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now