Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

extremely sore throat since Christmas Eve - reflux or virus?

(7 Posts)
mummyagainin2016 Wed 06-Jan-16 13:30:56

I'm 22w pregnant and have had an incredibly sore throat since Christmas Eve. I assumed I was getting a cold but actually had no other cold symptoms (no fever, runny nose etc) aside from slight soreness in my ears and soreness in one armpit.

I assumed I had some kind of virus or infection and went to the GP on Monday. She examined me and said there seems to be no virus or infection, no quickened pulse etc. She asked if I had any heartburn - I don't. Said it could still be reflux, acid irritating the throat. She gave me a prescription for erythromycin antibiotics (I'm allergic to penicillen) and said to start the course only if the throat doesn't improve in a few days. But my throat is still killing me and my ears are still a bit sore!! It's better than it initially was over Christmas but still painful every time I swallow. It's even worse at night as I cough a fair bit then too and the disturbed sleep is getting me down.

I'm hesitant to start to take the erythromycin now after Googling and finding this study from May this year: www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3011324/Common-antibiotic-taken-pregnancy-double-risk-epilepsy-cerebral-palsy-babies.html (excuse the Daily Mail link!)

So, thought I'd try treating it as reflux to start with but as far as I can tell I can't take over the counter stuff like Tums as I'm on low dose aspirin due to previous miscarriages.

Help?

dizzylemon Wed 06-Jan-16 13:53:56

Go back to the doctor to tell them the antibiotics didn't work and they should be able to put you on something for the reflux that won't disagree with the asprin. Well worth doing, because even if it's just Gaviscon that they can give you ootc, you will get it for free and I think it's always worth checking anyhow.

April2013 Wed 06-Jan-16 16:00:09

I had a terrible sore throat recently in 2nd trimester, I took paracetamol and also found randomly that Heinz chicken soup helped with the pain temporarily, was also much worse overnight. I also was drinking hot water with honey and fresh lemon juice almost constantly and sucking boiled sweets, in the night inbetween paracetamol doses I used to eat honey straight. It is so grim having a sore throat whilst pregnant, I hope you feel better soon. Definitely go back to a GP if you are unsure.

mummyagainin2016 Wed 13-Jan-16 14:26:38

I didn't take the antibiotics in the end. Went back to GP a few days ago and they gave me medication for reflux to try. Said it'll take a few days to work but it's already better already after two days. So relieved to have it sorted!

gemsparkle84 Wed 13-Jan-16 15:24:02

Hi can I please ask what medication you had? I've had this problem for months. Thanks x

mummyagainin2016 Wed 13-Jan-16 16:03:56

Omeprazole, once a day. It's safe in pregnancy, as is ranitadine, which is similar, though some say not as effective. It might be coincidence but my symptoms have massively improved since I started the omeprazole on Monday.

gemsparkle84 Wed 13-Jan-16 16:22:12

I've had a scratchy cough since April last year. I'm 33 weeks pregnant so before I got pregnant. It's causing me so much anxiety as I suffer with bad health anxiety. I got prescribed omeprazole but only took for a few days and didn't feel any benefit. I know you have to take the whole course to have improvement but was reluctant due to my pregnancy.

I'll have to try again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now