Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much weight should I have gained by 20 weeks pregnant?

(11 Posts)
Sunshine511 Tue 05-Jan-16 12:39:00

Just looking for a rough guide to make sure I'm along the right lines smile

My start weight was within the healthy range so I know my overall weight gain should be between 25 and 35 lbs.

Thanks for your help x

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Tue 05-Jan-16 13:10:20

Oh, "should" is a terrible word in my opinion!

Everyone is different. If nobody says anything to you at your next midwife appointment I would try not to worry. I am 22 weeks, pretty physically active, eat relatively healthy and have gained quite a bit quite fast. But my pregnancy is healthy and I can still do yoga every day so all is good! I know this wasn't the answer you were looking for but from what I have obsessively googled seen from bump pics etc everyone varies so much that there is no such thing as "normal"!

Runningupthathill82 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:54:41

There is no "normal" - in my first pregnancy I'd gained maybe 7lb by 20 weeks. In my second - current pregnancy - I'd gained around 2st by that point (yes, really).

I've been eating well and exercising regularly - still doing circuits classes at 37 weeks - so I don't know what to put the weight gain this time down to. The midwife isn't concerned though, so I'm trying not to worry either!

Jenijena Tue 05-Jan-16 14:57:37

I've just had my 28 week appt. on the notes it is pre printed in a way that indicates that below 4kg and above, I think 13kg at this point might be a cause for conversation.

Sunshine511 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:30:19

Thank you for your advice. I previously suffered from eating disorders for about 7 or 8 years, which I have been recovered from for about 4 years. I suppose weight gain etc will always be difficult for me but I wanted to make sure I am somewhere in the healthy braket. You've really reassured me that everyone's body is different and I just need to be eating well and staying active and the scales aren't really anything to go by! Thank you x

maybebabybee Tue 05-Jan-16 16:32:53

I honestly wouldn't obsess about it. I stopped weighing myself after 20 weeks as I had put on nearly 2 stone and I was getting depressed (also an ED sufferer). Now I'm in the third trimester I know I can't stop or slow weight gain so I just try to eat healthy food.

I don't deny myself though, my sister put 4 St on when pregnant and lost it all in six months.

Don't weigh yourself smile

duckyneedsaclean Tue 05-Jan-16 16:34:39

I'd lost weight by 20 weeks pregnant with ds1. (Then piled it on).

There is no normal.

Chattymummyhere Tue 05-Jan-16 16:55:30

I gained a stupid amount in my first pregnancy around 4stone, second I lost loads and weighed less after giving birth than before getting pregnant, this time so far 28w I've gained around 16lbs

Iammad Tue 05-Jan-16 17:33:56

I've never weighed myself in pregnancy, only the booking in appointment and at 37 weeks appointment which I have gained 20lbs in all.
I don't think it's a good idea to weigh yourself in pregnancy, your always worry your not putting enough on or too much.

LittleLegoBits Tue 05-Jan-16 17:38:08

Same as running first pregnancy terrible morning sickness o I lost weight in the early days by 30 weeks I was a couple pounds up- second pregnancy I was a stone and a half up by 20 weeks. So really everyone is different. I was worried both times and both times had a good chat with midwife - if you're still concerned maybe ask at next app.

LittleLegoBits Tue 05-Jan-16 17:40:13

20 weeks not 30

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now