Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Home birth vs hospital birth

(9 Posts)
mum19821985 Mon 04-Jan-16 16:50:32

Hi ladies, I am currently 9 weeks pregnant with my second baby and I am terrified! I had a very traumatic labour first time round, I was in stirrups (despite wanting an active birth), baby got stuck, I only had gas and air so found the pain pretty horrendous plus the midwives were bully's and kept telling me I was doing it wrong! :-( I had nightmares for a long time afterwards. I am now very reluctant to set foot in a hospital again and am considering a home birth. I am worried about pain relief though and also considering having an epidural. Any advice would be appreciated!

Iammad Mon 04-Jan-16 17:28:58

How awful! Have you met your community midwife yet?
If you have and you can talk to her about your experience then hopefully the midwife will help.
I had one bad experience but all my others were no where near as bad (had to have hospital).
Is there another hospital close to where you live?

Topsy34 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:37:30

Home birth is fab. I would strongly suggest joining home birth U.K. on Facebook as lots of good advice

Chattymummyhere Mon 04-Jan-16 17:44:23

If you have no reasons for needing a hospital birth I would recommend a home birth all the way. I was treated like crap in hospital with my first due to my age, with my second I had a homebirth which was lovely as the midwifes listen and know they are there because you want them there not because you felt it was your only option. I'm pregnant with my 3rd and booked in for another homebirth.

mum19821985 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:44:43

Thanks ladies, @lammad, I've met my community midwife and she is the loveliest, most reassuring person. She is very supportive of a home birth and said that ladies are much more relaxed and comfortable in their own home. I was doing so well in my last labour, got to hospital at 10cms with no pain relief. It's just when I got there it all went horribly wrong! Felt trapped in the hospital room and felt like I wasn't in control anymore. The more I think about it the more I want a home birth grin

mum19821985 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:48:26

Chattymummyhere - that's so good to hear. I was also treated like crap - asked for a glass of water after my son was born and the midwife tutted and rolled her eyes! I remember being dumped on the maternity ward at 2am into a broken bed, starving and not even offered a piece of toast :-( Not a good experience at all!

Thetruthfairy Mon 04-Jan-16 19:50:55

I would really, really strongly suggest that you do hypnobirthing. It really did make me feel so powerful and in control during both of my births.
A home birth would be lovely but you sound as if you might need a little extra help believing in your ability to birth naturally. It really does work xxx

Thetruthfairy Mon 04-Jan-16 19:52:59

P.s 'naturally' Is the wrong word.. I did mean to say with no pain relief x

Chattymummyhere Mon 04-Jan-16 20:35:48

Sounds about right I was dumped on ward as everyone else was being checked out. Took hours for anyone to answer a buzzer and that was only after I rang dh in tears who in turn rang my mum in tears who then rang the mat unit and tore some heads off. I wanted to bf and my ds couldn't I was told over and over again it was my fault, nearly 24 hours later did someone decide to check his mouth and oh look such bad tongue tie it would take him an hour to get 1oz out of a bottle.

Never done hypnobirthing, I planned a water birth at home but the pool wasn't ready in time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now