Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does anybody elses heart beat really hard during pregnancy?

(11 Posts)
macdat Thu 31-Dec-15 20:49:41

Mine is always beating really hard, it's even woken me up once or twice.
Is that normal, or should I be worried?

SkiptonLass2 Thu 31-Dec-15 20:53:04

Mine did. Felt like I could feel my pulse in my teeth!

I assumed it was just the system working harder as my bp was always nice and low. I don't think it ever went over 110/70

ProbablyMe Thu 31-Dec-15 20:57:28

Mine does, although like the pp my blood pressure is always fine. I asked my Consultant about it and she said it was normal and due to increased blood volume and the heart working harder. I also get an increased heart rate after eating and she said that's normal too. Bloody annoying sometimes though, wears me out and stops me sleeping sometimes!

macdat Thu 31-Dec-15 21:08:07

Glad to know it's normal, thanks. And yes, it is bloody annoying!

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 31-Dec-15 21:50:08

Yes, feels like a rush of adrenaline. I assumed it was linked to my low iron.

hebs72 Fri 01-Jan-16 06:22:04

Yep, me too. After walking up the stairs I can hear my own heartbeat in my ears. It's very weird.

gamerchick Fri 01-Jan-16 07:17:30

Well your heart is pushing more blood around your body but I would still get iron levels checked.

Sal1977 Fri 01-Jan-16 10:52:34

Same here, I also asked my consultant about it yesterday. She said its normal due to extra blood etc. BP was normal at 122/78.

It feels almost like palpitations at times and definitely feels like it shoots up after eating (especially sugar!).

Oh the joys eh? 😀

mrsjskelton Fri 01-Jan-16 11:23:32

Yep!! That's why you need to take it easy and avoid over strenuous activity!

KnitsBakesAndReads Fri 01-Jan-16 11:53:43

Yes, me too. My heartbeat is also faster than it was pre-pregnancy. I often find my heart beats really fast after a large meal and it's sometimes made me feel a bit dizzy and in need of a lie down. Like others, I've been told it's just due to you having a higher volume of blood in your body during pregnancy.

aimees75 Fri 01-Jan-16 21:21:01

Yes - turns out this is a symptom of anaemia which I have just been diagnosed with. Maybe mention it to your MW so they can check your iron levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now