Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried please someone help

(7 Posts)
Brunette28 Thu 31-Dec-15 18:37:57

Hi ladies I put the same post a week ago but no one wrote back to me. At my 28 week ap had a blood test done and a few days later midwife rang and said I had LUA antibodies in my blood. I know have to go for blood tests every 2 weeks and when I went back asked what this meant, the last couldn't tell me as she wasn't a midwife herself just taking blood. Just told me to look it up which I have, and whatever it is can cause something called hemolytic diesese of the newborn. It can involve baby's needing blood transfusions but no where can explain it in non medical terms!! I feel like I've been left in the dark and don't know what's going on can anyone please help!!!

Honkyponk Thu 31-Dec-15 18:54:27

Hello. Sorry I can't give a long explanation as I'm on my way to work. Essentially, you have antibodies in your blood which could work against your baby's blood cells, causing them to be destroyed. If this happens, it can cause anaemia in your baby which in its most severe form could lead to your baby needing a blood transfusion (either whilst still inside your womb or once the baby has been born). The good news is that the severe form happening is very rare, and there is a simple way on monitoring you. By measuring the levels of the antibody in your blood, it is possible to know how mild or not the process is. If the levels rise, the baby could be at risk and you would be referred to fetal medicine doctors for close monitoring. If the antibody levels don't rise, then the baby won't be affected so you don't need to do anything and no treatment is required. Everything is monitored via the blood transfusion service who look at your blood tests, and the experts there will write advice on the result report. I hope this helps, there is no need to worry xx

Brunette28 Thu 31-Dec-15 19:17:05

Thanks for yor response honkyponk, looking online is just making me more confused. If the levels were to rise, would I have to have my baby early?

passthewineplz Thu 31-Dec-15 20:23:41

Hi, this info should help.
midwivesonline.com/parents/parents1//121

www.nct.org.uk/pregnancy/rhesus-negative-blood-and-pregnancy

Brunette28 Thu 31-Dec-15 23:22:29

Thanks passthewineplz just confused reading this as I'm not rheagus negative??!!?

passthewineplz Fri 01-Jan-16 01:00:25

Sorry, being rhesus negative is the main cause of haemolytic disease. However there are other antibodies that can cause HD.

The antigen LUa is part of the Lutheran blood group and can cause the baby to have VERY MILD anemia or NO SYMPTOMS at all.

Please try not to worry, as you'll be monitored throughout your pregnancy and please discuss your concerns with your midwife hun x

www.obfocus.com/high-risk/Rh_disease/RH%20Disease%20And%20Isoimmunization.htm

Brunette28 Fri 01-Jan-16 12:56:35

Thanks pass the wine this has really helped x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now