Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Toxoplasmosis risk

(22 Posts)
crumblybiscuits Mon 28-Dec-15 20:23:41

We just got our first cat three weeks ago and I am 23 weeks pregnant. DP always changes the litter but has had to go away with work for a few days. Today cat pooed on the floor of the kitchen. I wore gloves to clean it up and sprayed my hands with disinfectant afterwards and warm soapy water but I am convinced I've damaged the baby. Should I tell my midwife? I can't stop worrying about it sad

mamas12 Mon 28-Dec-15 20:29:22

Ring her n the morning get it off your chest but it does sound like you had it covered to be fair to you.

lilac3033 Mon 28-Dec-15 20:33:51

Have you had cats previously? I think most people have been exposed before. Also wearing gloves and washing hands should be more then sufficient. I wouldn't worry but feel free to mention it to your midwife.

Scrowy Mon 28-Dec-15 20:36:26

Sounds like you have it covered. I live on a farm and our lambing time has started, our sheep are vaccinated against toxo but it doesn't rule out all risk that they don't carry it, same with cats. You just have to be extra vigilant with your own hygiene and those around you. You can ask to be screened for toxo immunity when you have bloods taken... I did but haven't had any results back yet. If you can it might give you some reassurance?

BeeMyBaby Mon 28-Dec-15 20:39:07

I think the rate of incidence in the uk is only something like 20% so it's unlikely you already have it unless you eat a lot of rare meat, but as lilac said if you wear gloves and wash it should be ok. Is the kitten allowed outside? To get toxoplasmosis it would have had to have eaten a mouse recently which hopefully would be impossible if it's an indoors cat do far...

Frankie72 Mon 28-Dec-15 20:39:19

Ring if it's going to annoy you but this might put your mind at ease...

I have a cat and she sleeps in our bed when it's cold. Heated mattress and very cold old house so I don't blame her at times. Sometimes I have found her pretty much bum in my face when I wake up (horrid I know and something I do not encourage!). I have a pregnancy rash all over my body so the midwife tested me for all the nasties... None found. Most importantly I had never had toxoplasmosis, now at first I was completely shocked but in reality there's only a small risk of even getting it so now I'm not so worried... Hubs still has to clean the tray though wink

crumblybiscuits Mon 28-Dec-15 20:41:10

No lilac it's our first hence the worry that I've not been exposed before.

Thanks all for reassurance. I have really awful antenatal anxiety so I think that's why I can't stop fixating on this. I am overdue to see her anyway so will give her a bell tomorrow.

crumblybiscuits Mon 28-Dec-15 20:43:12

Ah Bee he's a two year old adopted outdoor cat so he may have but he eats inside and we've not had anything come home with him so hopefully he hasn't!

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 20:45:11

You sound extremely anxious. Is it just about this or do you have anxiety in general.
If you wore gloves then that alone should be fine. You really shouldn't need to disinfect your hands.

crumblybiscuits Mon 28-Dec-15 20:52:30

Wolfie I have bad anxiety anyway and am consultant led with CPN for MH issues but still waiting on appointment. Last DD had chromosomal abnormalities and we lost her at 16 weeks so very anxious and health concious about this baby. Just feel awful and annoyed with myself that I have put her in harm.

CarShare Mon 28-Dec-15 21:46:46

The cat is likely to have been exposed to toxo previously if he hunted outdoors before you adopted him and so its v unlikely he'd have just picked up his first active infection (which is the only way he'd be able to pass it to you). You would then have to have ingested the cat faeces to be at risk of contracting toxo. All in all its incredibly unlikely.
I'm a worrier and asked for a toxo screen after eating rare meat- it was negative for me and I've been living with cats for around 10 years of my life.

outputgap Mon 28-Dec-15 21:53:57

Hi. Sounds like you cleaned up fresh poo which is low risk for transferring toxoplasmosis. It's the stuff that's been there for days which is more dodgy.

I'm another person who had cats for years, cleaned up lots of poo, had them sleeping by my head and had a toxoplasmosis test and discovered I'd never been exposed.

maybebabybee Mon 28-Dec-15 21:56:32

You won't be able to get toxo from fresh poo anyway, the parasite is only transferable after 24 hours or so. In any case, it's actually very rare to get it from cats. You would be more at risk from unwashed fruit and veg.

I am anxious too so I totally get it, flowers to you.

ButImNotTheOnlyOne Mon 28-Dec-15 22:03:46

Sounds completely fine to me. I had antenatal anxiety too so I get this.

You'll be fine.

crumblybiscuits Mon 28-Dec-15 22:17:32

Thanks all, needed a resounding "don't be silly it'll be fine" and I'm feeling a bit more level headed about it now.

doleritedinosaur Mon 28-Dec-15 22:21:07

We got a kitten before I was 20 weeks & I did the same as you but forgot about gloves! So my doctor did a blood test even though there was a very small risk & it was negative.
Speak to the midwife but it's a very easy blood test if it gives you peace of mind, just ask midwife or doctor.

kittyvet Mon 28-Dec-15 22:29:09

Cats only shed toxo for the first 2 weeks they get the infection. As others have said it has to sit for 24-48hrs before its infective. It's killed with most household disinfectants and you wore gloves. The risk of toxo much higher from undercooked meat or unwashed veg. Dont worry, your baby will be fine. I am a vet and when I asked for toxo titres my midwife didn't know what toxo was !!!! Know lots of pregnant vets- never had any problems. Always wash your hands!

hebs72 Tue 29-Dec-15 06:56:01

We have a cat, and I always clean out her litter tray. I wear rubber gloves, and then wash both the gloves and my hands afterwards. She doesn't hunt, and I prefer to clean out the tray than to discover cat poo in the flowerbeds when I'm gardening.

Having read this thread though, I'm going to ask my midwife for a test, just to put my mind at rest.

ILoveGreekCats Tue 29-Dec-15 07:33:53

We've always had a cat and while I was pregnant I always wore disposable gloves and washed my hands thoroughly after dealing with the cat litter. The cat also slept with me on the pillow that was supposed to be for my growing bump! I must admit I was very anxious which wasn't helped by living in a culture where if you're pregnant you don't even look at a cat! I'm sure if you take precautions you'll be fine but I understand your anxiety. Hope everything goes well.

crumblybiscuits Tue 29-Dec-15 11:31:01

I'm really worried as I used marigolds but didn't wash them IYGWIM. Will give midwife a call if I can find her number but I can never get hold of her and you're not supposed to leave a message so I might be waiting until my midwife appointment which is only in a week or two. I do realise I'm being a bit irrational about it but I'm just really scared she's going to be stillborn now, keep counting her kicks and every time she stops I start worrying.

Kacie123 Tue 29-Dec-15 11:36:19

Oh crumbly it's no wonder you're extra anxious over it after your last loss - I hope the midwife and tests put your mind at ease. It's super-super-unlikely to have happened though. thanks

Can I recommend an app which has been helping with my general anxiety a bit lately? It's called "Breathe2relax" (though I'm sure there are dozens of others like it) and it helps you concentrate on deep slow breathing. It's helped me calm down a bit in recent anxiety attacks and might help you deal with some of the symptoms, if not the cause of the anxiety. Might be worth a look if you have a smartphone or iPad around!

Rufus200 Tue 29-Dec-15 21:40:44

I am a vet. You have to ingest cat faeces or infected meat to become infected. There is zero risk to you picking up faeces and washing your hands afterwards! I have 3 cats, I just use tissue to clean litter tray and thoroughly wash hands afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now