Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sonographers comments have me worried

(11 Posts)
celeryeater Sat 26-Dec-15 12:23:46

So I went to my 20 week scan the other day and despite being very nervous beforehand everything went fine and we found out we are having a little girl.
When I got home however I can see the sonographer has left in the comments section 'lips' and signed it. She didn't say anything to us about the lips and studying the picture the front lip does seem to extend further than the bottom like an overbite maybe? At the time she showed us the front view of the babys face and the nose and mouth looked normal, but now her comment has me really worried!
Please tell me I'm being paranoid hmm

scaredofthecity Sat 26-Dec-15 12:35:14

It's probably just that she's seen the lips are in tact, meaning that your baby doesn't have a cleft lip. That's all I would take from it. I'm sure anything else would have been mentioned at the time.

Congratulations on your daughter fsmile

Kaytee1987 Sat 26-Dec-15 12:35:30

I think if there's anything wrong they have to tell you. Could you phone the hospital and ask what the comments mean?

Kaytee1987 Sat 26-Dec-15 12:36:18

What scaredofthecity said is probably right, didn't even think of that.

celeryeater Sat 26-Dec-15 12:43:33

Yeah maybe you are right scaredofthecity, because everything above the comments box was things to tick off like heart, spine, kidneys etc. I didn't notice the face looking weird at the time. After doing a bit of googling (i know i shouldn't) it seems lots of people ask this and it's just how they grow. Don't want to ring the hospital and trouble them when they are short staffed over the holidays so I think I'll just wait and mention it to the midwife when I have my next appointment in January. Thanks everyone for replying though!

MadameJosephine Sat 26-Dec-15 12:50:30

I'm a midwife sonographer and I agree with previous posters, the comment will just mean that the lips have been checked. If she had seen anything concerning she would have told you at the end of the scan and made the appropriate referrals.

Congratulations on your baby girl

celeryeater Sat 26-Dec-15 13:04:21

MadameJosephine - thanks brilliant smile

Oysterbabe Sat 26-Dec-15 14:59:49

They would definitely tell you if they had any concerns.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 26-Dec-15 15:07:45

Stuff like heart and spine are covered by tick boxes because they're essential things which must be seen on the scan. If they're not then you have to go back for a second scan. As sometimes it's not possible to see everything in the detail required due to baby's position.

Other stuff inc lips is non essential. So there's no tick box for them and you don't get called back if they're not seen. However if the sonographer has seen them then they may well comment that they've been seen and it sounds like this is what she's done.

Dixiechick17 Sat 26-Dec-15 23:47:11

Also babies do have what looks like a bit of an overbite when born. It's meant to be so they can feed more effectively. Only know this as when our DD was born DH thought she had an overbite and googled it... hmm

Cuppachaplz Sun 27-Dec-15 17:29:48

If any abnormality had been detected, you would have been referred to foetal medicine that day, and you would be aware of this.

There is a list of structures to be checked at 20 (including lips got an indication of palate structure). It sounds like they have signed to say all structures have been visualised as normal.

Incidentally, they rarely move on to gender discussions if abnormalities have been found...

Congratulations

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now