Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Abortion / Misscarriage / Pregnancy

(9 Posts)
Alice1983 Thu 17-Dec-15 21:25:03

May be sensitive WARNING...Just in that order... basically, I told MIL that I was PG today, a bit of a shock fgrin ..nevertheless, just a little bit of a back story...I had an abortion 15yrs ago, and then a MC last year, and I was just saying to her how I was worried etc..it would happen again after last year, and she said, well, there is no reason for a MC to happen again, and then said, well, unless they 'messed something up' when you had the abortion there is no reason for it to happen...now I'm actually worried...could that be the reason for the MC last year? Any ideas? Could they really have 'messed something up'? confused Thank you all flowers

Alice1983 Thu 17-Dec-15 21:44:17

Should have said I am 5-6 weeks

seven201 Thu 17-Dec-15 21:50:41

I have no idea (I doubt it and if they did you'd probably know by now) but your mil sounds like an insensitive twit! Miscarriages are quite common so I doubt the abortion and past miscarriage are linked. Try and forget about it thanks

Alice1983 Thu 17-Dec-15 21:57:05

Ok thank you. I wondered myself why she said that. It had never crossed my mind.....

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:08:39

No. Lots of women have abortions then go on to have perfectly normal pregnancies.

Alice1983 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:15:18

Thanks goodnight Suppose after MC i am finding anything that 'could' make it happen again and even though i feel positive, i dont want to feel too positive in case i am dissapointed. So scared of my scan i dont even want to go, i have bad memories

Brummiegirl15 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:48:09

Christ your MIL is an insensitive bitch.

Having an abortion will not cause problems or miscarriages later on so please don't think like that.

Sadly miscarriages can happen for absolutely no reason. I've had 3 in row, for no reason whatsoever. Had all the tests and nothing wrong with me.

I'm now 33+3 on attempt number 4. It's hard I know but please don't give up hope.

Kaytee1987 Fri 18-Dec-15 10:52:57

No it would not cause a miscarriage. If there were any complications at the time you would have been told about them. Your mil sounds very ignorant but probably not being deliberately rude.

Kaytee1987 Fri 18-Dec-15 10:57:37

This reminds me of something my mil said about a friends daughters early miscarriage "she's got a stressful job so she was probably working too hard, poor girl". She didn't have a particularly stressful job tbh and she wasn't working down a bloody coal mine. Miscarriage is very very rarely caused by anything the women has or hasn't done. Comments like the above are the reason I'm getting a scan before telling my mil lest I be blamed for a miscarriage by 'working too hard'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now