Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnancy yoga dvds or you tube subscriptions?

(13 Posts)
whalingaround Thu 17-Dec-15 10:11:54

Hi
I cant find a decent pregnancy yoga class near me so considering an online or dvd one - any recommendations gratefully received? I've heard katy appleton is good? Anyone else?
Thanks
Kate

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 17-Dec-15 10:14:39

Placemarking! I'm going to try YouTube first (money's money).

glitterbomb80 Thu 17-Dec-15 15:40:10

There are some good teachers on here: movementformodernlife.com/

DreamingOfThruxtons Thu 17-Dec-15 15:46:18

I've enjoyed the yoga sequences I have been able to find on YouTube; actually I've probably done more of them than the DVDs I own, as I can do them at work and select the video based on time available. I quite like this teacher.

kiwifluff25 Thu 17-Dec-15 17:06:12

I have the Katy Appleton, it's good in terms of a workout (I regularly do yoga and I found it nice and challenging unlike a lot of pregnancy workouts).

HOWEVER, she rubs her belly a lot in a hippy-swirly-swaying kind of way and talks in a soothing voice about visualising the miracle (or something along those lines) ... cringe.

TheGreaterGood Thu 17-Dec-15 17:16:53

Thanks for the advice Kiwi - I've been browsing for DVD this week and have finally decided on Katie Appleton and ordered it. Not sure about visualising my miracle but a soothing voice might be nice!

whalingaround Fri 18-Dec-15 18:21:51

Fab thanks all

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Sat 19-Dec-15 09:57:32

Try Nadia Narain - I go to her classes and she also has a DVD (though disclaimer - I own it but haven't tried it yet!!). She is fantastic - has been teaching pregnancy yoga for 16 years, she trains other teachers to teach pregnancy yoga and is super no nonsense! No belly rubbing I'm sure!

5hell Sat 19-Dec-15 10:30:48

I have Tara Lee's Pregnancy Yoga DVD...it's pretty easy and gentle (though I have done yoga for about 15 years), but I can imagine doing it throughout my pregnancy (currently 25w) and to aid recovery after. There's a little bit of baby visualisation stuff, but not too much fluffy stuff really. Overall would recommend

ledgeoffseason Thu 24-Dec-15 02:19:24

Yes I like Nadia Narain - went to her classes and initially had the RAGE as a lot of it was about preparing yourself to give birth the natural miraculous way and since I had atrocious first birth and was always going to have highly medicalised second (now has to be elcs, not my choice) I felt a bit marginalised. BUT I sort of realised that a lot of my rage was repressed/left over from first birth and in fact her great class helped me work it out a bit. Plus she is very no nonsense and funny and gave me good advice about what to do to help myself in a medicalised scenario - then gave the class a chat about When Things Go Wrong which I thought was GREAT - a lot of first timers planning home/water/hypno births, as was I, and I feel like although I 100% agree that encouraging natural, 'empowered' labour is the best option, sadly it really doesn't work out like that for everyone and so it's as well to know what to do when you're hooked up to monitors and drips rather than rolling round on a squeegee ball making groaning sounds etc. Plus the workout is great and always inspiring to have a yoga teacher that looks so naturally great. So she made me do a big 180.

HennieT68 Mon 04-Jan-16 15:38:26

I love Tara’s yoga DVDs - I can't recommend them enough. They are easy to follow and have become invaluable to me. She has recently launched a new boxset which comprises two DVDs (Pregnancy and Postnatal). The new Pregnancy DVD has a hypnobirthing section with a leading expert called Katharine Graves. It is split into sections enabling you to choose what suits you. The new Postnatal DVD has been approved by a women’s health physiotherapist called Sinead McCarthy. It is also split into sections and caters for the period when your baby is under 12 weeks and you are feeling tired and you want to do more gentle exercises. Then there are stronger options of exercise for when your baby is over 12 weeks. There is also a yoga nidra or deep relaxation section for new mothers who are feeling exhausted.

SweetTeaVodka Mon 04-Jan-16 16:19:01

Thanks to this thread I have just ordered the Tara Lee pregnancy and post natal box set. Had only started yoga a few months before this pregnancy and initially intended to continue but very severe morning sickness soon put a stop to that. Now that I am feeling much better I'm excited to get my DVDs and give it another go.

MrsBartlettforthewin Mon 04-Jan-16 16:32:35

I have the Tara Lee pregnancy yoga one. I really like it. I like that it has a number of different sections so you can pick and choose what you are in the mood for as well as a play all option. It also has a partner section which DH will be watching with me soon (he doesn't know that yet grin ) and some hypnobirthing. Was really worth the money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now