Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

growth scan??

(16 Posts)
Rianna1997 Wed 09-Dec-15 05:51:38

Hi allsmile
I'm 32 weeks into my pregnancy and everything is going well so far! I had a growth scan today and they told me that baby was measuring very big, apparently her weight at the moment is measuring around 5 pounds!shock I'm not massive myself and it's got me abit worried about the delivery seeing as she still has lots of growing time leftblush
I was just wondering if any of you ladies have had similar experiences and how accurate your growth scans were?

Brummiegirl15 Wed 09-Dec-15 07:29:46

I'm also 32 weeks and having a growth scan today so reading this with interest! They think my little one is measuring behind slightly - but we don't know if it's just dodgy measuring with the tape!

Rianna1997 Wed 09-Dec-15 07:51:14

Good lucksmile I love the scans seeing them kick about grin we thought nothing of it when they referred me for a growth scan, also thought the midwives had measured wrong but was shocked when they told me her estimated measurements! Just wondered how accurate these things are as you hear stories of the doctors getting it very wrong!

wonkylegs Wed 09-Dec-15 08:01:05

I was predicted to have a big baby as I was on steroids had scans and they said spot on for growth.
waters broke at 36wks and had baby (after long labour ending in section) at 37wks weighing 7lbs
I think he came out because he was ready and there was no more room (I'm rather tiny)
Predicting that this one will be the same.

RattyCatty Wed 09-Dec-15 08:51:54

HI Rianna I am in the same boat as you. Had a private babybond growth scan at weekend when was just turning 32 weeks (moving house so wanted a scan as not sure of next midwife app) and I was told baby was 5lb too so feeling pretty anxious as it seems large and apparently in last month they put on 1/2lb each week?! I'm hoping it's an inexact science as I'm slim too...

Rianna1997 Wed 09-Dec-15 08:56:03

It came as such a shock to me especially as all of her other scans she's been a pretty average baby for measurements! Does anyone know if bigger babies do have a tendency to come earlier?

Iammad Wed 09-Dec-15 09:26:19

I was told 5lb at exactly 32 weeks, the consultant was not concerned tbh.
And head was measuring 42 weeks at the 36 week scan lol.
Baby was born at exactly 38 weeks and was 7lb1.
So I wouldn't worry to much.

Rianna1997 Wed 09-Dec-15 09:46:48

Thanks for the comments! Nice to know I'm not the only one carrying what feels like is the worlds biggest babywink

spilttheteaagain Wed 09-Dec-15 10:31:54

Oh god, the size predictions are nuts.

When I was pg with DD 4 years ago, they measured my fundal height in MW appointments and it was always a bit small (was 29cm at 31 weeks), and then at 34 weeks when I still measured 29cm MW sent me for a growth scan saying "it will be in the next couple of weeks, but keep an eye on movements, it's these smaller babies we worry about". Reassuring, NOT.

A scan then at 36 weeks said she was 7lb12 already... I googled growth etc and saw worst case if she went to 42 weeks she was projected to be nearly 12lb! Being a slim small framed person myself I was scared witless.

She was born at 40+2 weighing 7lb 7oz, bang on 50th centile.

It was all bollocks for us!

Icklepickle101 Wed 09-Dec-15 13:02:13

Had mine today at 32+5 and estimated weight was 4lb 11 and consultant said this was perfectly normal and about 70th centile so trying not to panic about a sumo baby!

Noodledoodledoo Wed 09-Dec-15 13:34:04

I had growth scans at 32 and 36 weeks as baby was expected to be big - her measurements they did put her head, tummy on the 98th centile. I wasn't told weights as my consultant said it was the measurements which could cause more issue - you can have a heavy long baby but with a small head etc!

I was induced at 40+1 due to this and had a 9lb 9 baby! Head is still on the 98th centile 14 months later and her weight has bobbed along the 91st centile as well!

ThePowerOfCake Wed 09-Dec-15 21:12:25

I had a growth scan at about 30 weeks. They couldn't measure DD's head properly as it was too low so used leg bone and abdominal circumference to estimate. They had her down as around 7lb. When she was born at 8lb 9oz it turned out that she had short legs, a very long skinny body and a massive head!

bluishskies Thu 10-Dec-15 03:41:52

I've had a scan every 4 and because I'm pregnant with twins. Today the sonographer said the later you are in pregnancy the more inaccurate the weight estimates are. She said there is a 20% margin of error.

Rianna1997 Thu 10-Dec-15 09:21:23

I've heard there's a margin for error but I just think how wrong could they possibly be?? Wish they could be 100% with these things but that's impossiblegrin

IslaMann Thu 10-Dec-15 09:26:04

I've just had my 32 wk scan (still in ANC waiting to see Dr) and my baby weighs 4lb13oz so I'd say around 5lb is perfectly normal at this stage. I didn't have late scans with my DS, after 20wks, so no idea how he would've measured but he was predicted to be big. He was 8lb 9oz in the end so while not tiny, not huge either.

duckyneedsaclean Thu 10-Dec-15 09:29:15

Growth scans rarely seem to have much relation to reality. I remember with ds1 they all said he'd be 7lbs.

Reader, he was 9lb3oz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now