Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring by mw

(3 Posts)
KatyN Tue 01-Dec-15 20:18:55

Hiya. I have always been measured straight down from between my boobs through my belly bottom to my pelvic bone and have always been spot on size wise.
Today my mw measured around the side, massively circling my belly button by 10 cm or so. I think this is where by baby is lying, so she has the tape measure along her spine but it made me bigger than I 'should' be.

She wasn't concerned, neither am I but I just wondered which was normal.
Thanks katyxx

madsaz76 Tue 01-Dec-15 20:24:20

NO manual fundal measurement technique is reliable. I was taught as a med student to go straight up to top through centre - but if bump assymetrical probably best to go for highest bit.

My midwife had me on 95th centile the other day - but went for a 3d scan and was on 60th.... even scans not particularly reliable but if repeat measurements show large then ask for a growth scan?

KatyN Tue 01-Dec-15 21:58:44

Thanks... I'm not worried and so near the end I don't want another scan (36 weeks) but I was surprised that I was this far into this pregnancy and had a previous pregnancy when I was always perfect size and measured 'vertically'.
My son was only 7lb at 2 weeks overdue so I am just assuming this one won't be too big!!!
Thanks for your reply, katy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now