Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan out by a week, fetal pole no heart beat at 5.5 I am sure I am 6.5

(14 Posts)
FlourishingMrs Sat 28-Nov-15 11:15:58

Please carry on and Share your very early scan experiences. I am sure I am 6.5 weeks due to using clear blue ovulation text and temping. Went for early scan which says 5.5 weeks with sac, fetal pore crl 2.8 but no hear beat, told to come back in two weeks. Could scan dates ever be wrong in early pregnancy?

Should I prepare for the worst? Please ladies share your experiences, you will help others in my situation.

Belmo Sat 28-Nov-15 16:06:42

Hello,
I had a scan at what I was sure was 6+4 and baby measured 5+6 (although I'm sure was only 2.3mm?), we did see a heartbeat but it's not unusual not to at that stage. At my 12 week scan baby was measuring a day ahead of my dates, so 6 days ahead of the early scan.
Hope everything works out, it's a horrible wait.

FlourishingMrs Sat 28-Nov-15 16:28:21

Yes Belmo it's totally debilitating, not much info online either.

GreenSand Sat 28-Nov-15 16:33:50

Yes, they are measuring a tiny bunch of cells through your abdomen. If itis justa tiney bit out, it can make a huge difference to how far you are, hence dating scans around 12 weeks.

At 6 ish weeks, I measured about where I thought, but no HB. 2 weeks later, with a HB, but only measuring 7 weeks. I questioned, they remeasured, and he jumped to 8 weeks.

He's now started school!

Newlywed123 Sat 28-Nov-15 17:42:58

This hhappened to me, I tHough I was 6 weeks had a scan and it showed I was 5 weeks with no hb. 2 week's later baby measured 8 weeks with a hb. I'm now 30 weeks, I wouldn't worry to much. They do say baby is hard to measure so early flowers

dontaskdonttell Sat 28-Nov-15 17:57:25

Like others have said, at this stage dates can move so easily. I'm pregnant with dc3 and had 3 scans (2 early then 12 week scan) and my dates moved at each scan. Try not to worry too much, it could be nothing. At the same time, and I mean this nicely, don't assume everything will be ok because some people have had positive experiences. I say that as a person who has miscarried and refused to accept anything could be wrong and it hit me like a ton of bricks when it was.
Be kind to yourself and keep us updated thanks

CuppaSarah Sat 28-Nov-15 19:54:32

I went to what I thought was my 12 week scan only to be measuring just under 6 weeks. There was a heartbeat but I am certain I was a few days ahead of where you're dated currently. Anyway, the sonographer looked worried, walked out to talk to someone and came back in with a more experienced sonographer. They told me my dates were wrong which I was certain they right. I came back 6 weeks later and measured 12 weeks. It was scary, butni was naiive and didn't think to ask to be scanned sooner. But DD is currently wandering around her bedroom nearly 3 years old and avoiding going to sleep.

GoApeShit Sat 28-Nov-15 21:09:02

Hi OP. Sorry you're in this situation. I've been there, and unfortunately for me it did not end well. I went back a week later to find a little bit of growth (in hindsight, not enough) and a heartbeat but unfortunately I miscarried a week later.

It was shit, and I hope you don't go through that. The waiting is awful, but I did use these wonderful boards for support and it really helped.

I will keep everything crossed for you. Please let us know how you get on flowers

FlourishingMrs Sun 29-Nov-15 18:08:06

Goape, how on earth and you manage six weeks on uncertainty, waiting two weeks is already killing me, it's only been three days and I cannot focus o. Anything.

I am tempted to book a private scan before the ten days, say on Thursday which will be 7 days later. My mind is everywhere. The worry is I had a police first response on 1st nov so really baby should have had a heartbeat last week. At least the was a York sac and fetal pole. Thank you everyone who has responded o far, please keep them comming.

Chattycat78 Sun 29-Nov-15 19:45:56

I went to a scan at what I thought was 6 weeks exactly, but I was measuring 5 weeks and there was only a gestational sac and yolk sac (well two actually as its twins!shock). They booked me in for a scan 2 weeks later and there were now 2 heartbeats. I think you can ovulate later than you think which causes the difference.

FlourishingMrs Thu 03-Dec-15 19:40:03

Went for a private scan today, exactly a week later struggling to wait the full two weeks suggested by NHS EPC, fetal pole has increased slightly to 3.8 from 2.8 gestation sac has grown too." Pregnancy measures 6.4days with faint pulsations but difficult to see due to being located too close to wall"

I thought a firm heartbeat should be established by 6.4 weeks. I was set to deal with whatever the results today but still unclear. Thank you ladies and keep posting. I have no bleeding, no spotting and no cramps. Just sore boobs and tiredness

Pollyputhtekettleon Fri 04-Dec-15 00:31:51

That all sounds good OP. Really there is nothing yet to properly indicate a problem. Can you take it as good news and do another scan in a week? I know this is hard but really from the outside, all seems okay at this point for you.

FlourishingMrs Mon 07-Dec-15 18:06:54

Just say, scan confirmed missed miscarriage, offered D and C tomorrow,thank you for the support in the longest two weeks.

Everythinggettingbigger Tue 08-Dec-15 11:58:29

Sorry you are going through this Flourish.....unfortunately, nothing to add not been in the situation myself flowers

I would say from your private scan that it sounds positive, but im not a dr or anything, hope this week fly's for you so you can get some answers and your next scan is more definitive.

Everything crossed for a happy outcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now