Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Soo itchy!

(11 Posts)
TheHoundOfWinchester Thu 26-Nov-15 08:32:16

I was diagnosed recently with OC, I've been given antihistamines and menthol aqueous cream to help with the itching until I see the consultant again next week when I'll be almost 39 weeks. Does anyone have any other ideas to make the itching a bit more bare able? It's driving me crazy 😫

ShowYourSeams Thu 26-Nov-15 09:39:44

I used to find water helped. I'd spend hours laid in the bath or stood in the shower.

LonelySatsuma Thu 26-Nov-15 09:47:12

How often are they checking your bloods? I got itchier and itchier towards the end with OC and it was a symptom of my liver really starting to struggle. I'd call your midwife and see if she can fit you in before the consultant appointment next week.

I remember the itching so well. Horrid! I used to stand on the cold kitchen floor or put my feet in a bowl of cold water to ease itchy soles. Drove me mad!

TheHoundOfWinchester Thu 26-Nov-15 13:14:46

So far Ive just had the one blood test at the beginning of this week and levels were just borderline, having them checked again at the beginning of next week

Rachel1406 Fri 27-Nov-15 13:43:38

The main thing to keep an eye out with is itchy palms and the souls of your feet that is a sign with your liver over functioning then they will have to check your bile acids

kamillaw Fri 27-Nov-15 14:45:40

I'm guessing you'll be induced when you go in? Otherwise the acid they prescribe called URSO for short could help. Keep slathering the cream!

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Fri 27-Nov-15 14:54:38

Cold water helped a bit I had OC. I used to get up in the middle of the night for a freezing shower before crawling back to bed for another hour. That itch will haunt me forever although I was induced at 37weeks for it.

flowers it really is madness inducing!

LonelySatsuma Fri 27-Nov-15 19:09:43

Hey OP. Hows it going?

I dont want to be a doom monger...but do get things checked out if the itching is getting worse.

Also...be alert to your baby's movements. Any reduction in them...get it checked out straight away.

I had my 2nd DC at 37 weeks because of OC, too. Some PCTs induce or do a c-section at 37 weeks as routine for OC, as it can very quickly get worse in the last few weeks of pregnancy.

Not trying to scare you (sorry). Just go with your feelings about how itchy/unwell you are and how much your baby is moving, and don't be fobbed off if anything doesn't feel right.

cheeseandcrackers Fri 27-Nov-15 19:25:14

Hope you manage to stop itching, OP. Sorry to derail but what is OC? I'm 35wks and itching has been getting much worse, but only legs and bump, not palms and soles. I find I have to wear loose non-synthetic clothes after about 4pm (I.e. pyjamas) or I go crazy. Much worse when I'm tired. Shower or bath only thing that makes it go away completely.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Fri 27-Nov-15 19:30:19

Really sorry but I don't think that antihistamines will work - the itch of OC isn't caused by a histamine reaction. Agree that if its getting worse you should get checked, can you call your maternity triage?

LonelySatsuma Fri 27-Nov-15 19:38:47

OC = obstetric cholestasis. Its a weird pregnancy related condition that causes your liver to struggle.

Its still poorly understood and the risk poorly managed in a lot of areas f the UK, unfortunately. I have met midwives and GPs who haven't even heard of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now