Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Shooting pains in crotch (SPD?)

(9 Posts)
goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 24-Nov-15 10:51:59

I'm 28+3, and yesterday starting having shooting pains at the front of my crotch (not my vagina) when I walk. It gradually got worse to the point where getting up, turning in a circle, rolling over in bed, etc. is getting more and more painful. Could this be SPD? It doesn't really hurt if I spread my legs, but parting them while walking hurts like hell. I've had it mildly on and off for the last few weeks, but now it won't go away!

I'm seeing midwife tomorrow but does anyone have any advice? I'm a bit worried she'll just say it's normal and send me on my way ...

MrsBartlettforthewin Tue 24-Nov-15 13:51:55

Sounds like SPD to me. Push for a physio referral asap - mine has been really good, giving me acupuncture etc. things aren't much better but she is trying to help me out. She has given me crutches to help me get around I feel a bit of a wally with them but they are helping a bit. Also if it gets really bad bed rest in the only thing that really works so getting signed of (if you're working) shouldn't be a problem.

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 24-Nov-15 14:12:53

Thanks MrsB flowers

Artistic Tue 24-Nov-15 14:47:33

I had something similar. I was told its 'pelvic pain' and was accompanied by severe pain in my hips when lying down (for majority of the preg & many months after too).

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 24-Nov-15 17:02:13

Artistic, did they discuss PGP or SPD at all? "Pelvic pain" - well, yes, it is, it comes under that very broad banner.

Did they offer any treatment?

Artistic Tue 24-Nov-15 18:18:00

Hi there, no they said it's not SPD & didn't offer any treatment. The midwife gave me a few tips & that helped. She said to squeeze my pelvic floor when standing up or sitting down or lying down ( basically any position change) and to keep my legs together when doing these actions to support the load. This appeared to me like the expanding pelvis was unable to take the extra stomach load. Try these & see if it helps.

waxweasel Tue 24-Nov-15 18:24:05

It definitely sounds like SPD. I had it in my first pregnancy from about 21 weeks, and the front-of-crotch pain came on slightly later after the hip pain. It was always the more annoying pain I found. This time it has kicked in slightly earlier (c. 18 weeks) and the crotch pain has come first. I saw an osteo last week and she managed to fix it for now - it was hurting on the walk to the appointment, but not on the walk home, and hasn't come back yet. So I'd recommend seeing an osteo if you can afford it, or if you have private health insurance. Pilates also helps.

Itsallaboutme3 Tue 24-Nov-15 18:25:58

Oh i remember them, so painful! I didnt get them until 34 weeks but midwife told me it was normal.

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 24-Nov-15 20:34:14

Thanks artistic and wax smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now