Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Very strange pregnancy test result!

(30 Posts)
twinklestarr Tue 17-Nov-15 14:09:53

Hey all, wouldn't mind some advice, I did a pink dye pregnancy test strip this morning and got a confusing result, I immediately got a very dark pink line slightly off centre from where the control line would usually be, but couldn't see another line so I thought that it was the control line and that the result was negative, however I when I looked closer there was actually a faint thin line where the control line should actually be, which became much clearer when I uploaded it to a pregnancy test gallery on another site and inverted it! Is the test faulty, or is it actually a positive with a faint control line, and why would the control line be faint?

Sanch1 Tue 17-Nov-15 14:11:33

I can only see one line. Can you not just do another one?

gamerchick Tue 17-Nov-15 14:20:20

It might be a duff test. You'll need to do another one.

Pollyputhtekettleon Tue 17-Nov-15 14:23:35

My first test did this and it was because the result was so strong it pulled all the dye into the 'yes you're pregnant' line. I looked at it and said to dh, no its negative. And only a few minutes later realise that the pregnancy line was the one I was seeing and the control was barely visible. Apparently this happens with strong hcg at times.

Pollyputhtekettleon Tue 17-Nov-15 14:25:06

And yes, I see your two lines. I expect that is a positive but do invest in a good test before counting on it totally!

twinklestarr Tue 17-Nov-15 16:54:17

Thanks folks, I will do another test but will have to wait til I can afford to get a decent one, the post about the test line using up the dye makes sense, the line is very dark and wide!

Junosmum Tue 17-Nov-15 18:10:42

You don't need an expensive one- superdrug or Tesco own brand are good. Good luck.

Kpo58 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:16:50

I'd go with a cheap test too (usually the Sainsbury's 2 for £3.50!) The expensive ones add up way too quickly and don't tell you anything different.

I'd only go with the expensive one once I have a positive result, just for a rough dating of the pregnancy.

BumpAndGrind Wed 18-Nov-15 02:24:09

Your control line isn't faint, the control line is the line closet to the blue bit. Your control line is really dark but I don't see a second line.

If you think you can see two lines try again with another test.

twinklestarr Wed 18-Nov-15 08:46:22

Hi BumpAndGrind, I'm aware that the control line is always the line closest to the blue bit, what I'm saying is, the dark line that you can see easily is not in fact the line that is closest to the blue bit, therefore it can't be the control line, there is another line, it's very clear to the naked eye, and I can also see it on the photo.

LouLou030783 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:42:40

The pound shop do test which are better than those wee things try one of them or as others said super drug etc do little cheap ones I can see the start of a 2nd line however it kinda looks like a faulty test xx

HeartShapedBox Wed 18-Nov-15 09:57:40

I can clearly see two lines, I'd say positive but get another cheapy test to double check.

twinklestarr Wed 18-Nov-15 10:29:53

I've just got some masterplast ones from the pound shop, not too sure that they're any good though lol, fingers crossed

RoTo72 Wed 18-Nov-15 10:33:41

Do one now and let us know. Then leave it to first wee in mornings

twinklestarr Wed 18-Nov-15 12:54:17

Just did one and the same thing happened! Really want to do a blue test now

RoTo72 Wed 18-Nov-15 12:56:04

Oh how frustrating! Its the not knowing I'm sure. Dis it look exactly the same

LouLou030783 Wed 18-Nov-15 13:01:25

Is it the same type of test those little stupid dip ones? If not upload a pic of other one x

BumpAndGrind Wed 18-Nov-15 13:44:44

I understand now.

That must be so frustrating.

GorillaWar Wed 18-Nov-15 13:51:11

My positives were spaced evenly between the blue bit and the end of the absorbent bit, so my control line was about the same place as your dark line I'm afraid.

Andie92 Wed 18-Nov-15 15:37:54

I used the same test type as you and that dark line is about where my control line appeared. But I can see a faint fleck on the other side on the line so you might have a dodgy batch. Try a mid-stream test this time you might get a clearer result. If you keep getting dodgy results request that your doctor sends you for a blood test

twinklestarr Wed 18-Nov-15 16:40:07

It was a dip test but a different brand. God I am so confused right now! I just read about something called the hook effect, basically if you have very high hcg the test can't process it properly and you end up with the dodgy results like I've had. Hate pregnancy tests some times, there seems to be so much that can go wrong with them!

danikagrace Wed 18-Nov-15 16:47:07

How frustrating! Could you ask your doc to do one?

GorillaWar Wed 18-Nov-15 16:50:53

How many days late is your period? do you have a pic of this similar result with the other brand?

My positive line has always been much nearer to the other end...

twinklestarr Thu 19-Nov-15 13:58:53

Well, I did two completely different types of test this morning, a boots + or -, and a pink dye, two clear and normal looking positives!

GameOfGroans Thu 19-Nov-15 13:59:51

Congratulations grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now