Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting a flight refunded due to severe morning sickness?

(13 Posts)
DarlingClem Fri 13-Nov-15 18:20:25

I am due to fly overseas next week solo with my 21 month old and am seriously considering canceling the trip due to severe morning sickness. I am really doubting my ability to cope with the flight and being sick, let alone while trying to manage a toddler on my own.

Has anybody had any luck getting a refund from an airline (I'm flying BA) if they are able to get a dr certificate stating unfit to fly?

MediumBox Fri 13-Nov-15 18:31:14

have you got travel insurance?
that's what they are for.

Junosmum Fri 13-Nov-15 18:33:29

You'd have to claim off your travel insurance. BA may let you move the flight though. Possibly not at a weeks notices though.

DarlingClem Fri 13-Nov-15 18:33:53

Yes, but not before the morning sickness started so it's considered a precondition.

AssembleTheMinions Fri 13-Nov-15 18:46:10

You may get the taxes back if you can't travel.

Have you checked that your insurance won't cover you?

DarlingClem Fri 13-Nov-15 19:02:25

The insurance says it will only cover hypermesis grav and I have to have been diagnosed after we purchased the insurance. I did do a dummy cancelation and would get the taxes back but that's only £200 of an £800 ticket. sad

MediumBox Fri 13-Nov-15 19:09:56

can you get to the gp to get meds prescribed? (if you haven't already)

DarlingClem Fri 13-Nov-15 19:18:44

Have two different meds, they work until about 3pm and then I go downhill. Flight is at 2.30...

Brummiegirl15 Fri 13-Nov-15 19:45:36

BA won't refund you at all, all needs to be done through travel insurance

BikeRunSki Fri 13-Nov-15 19:49:52

If it can't be controlled by antiemetics, could it actually be HG?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 13-Nov-15 19:54:02

If your insurance has excluded morning sickness as a pre-existing condition, you'll only be able to claim taxes, BA won't refund you.

Could you move to an earlier flight, if it's controllable until 3pm? Or try taking your tablets slightly later to see if they last longer?

DarlingClem Fri 13-Nov-15 20:13:43

Thanks ladies. The tablets put me to sleep so I usually try to hold off taking them until late afternoon/early evening
as they make me feel pretty useless, they then last overnight and through the morning. That said, even if I take an extra dose or take them earlier I still vomit in the late afternoon/evening regardless, there seems to be no helping me during certain hours. I didn't think it qualified as HG since I'm not dehydrating myself. BA is the only airline that flies to my destination and only once a day (west coast US) so can't change times. I'm open to trying to change to a later date when I hopefully feel better, just would prefer to cancel and not have to worry about a trip looming.

kimberly1 Fri 13-Nov-15 22:04:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now