Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Retroverted uterus support club

(13 Posts)
Louise34567 Wed 11-Nov-15 09:11:07

Back pains... doctors pressing down extremely hard to get scan images... strange twinges low-down in the middle of the night...

Anyone who's been told they've got a retroverted uterus and is pregnant, join this thread and share your experiences!

I'm currently working with a hot water bottle on my back. Just a normal day for me. :p

ServingSuggestion Wed 11-Nov-15 09:48:37

I have a retroverted uterus but never had any problems associated with it - other than the difficulty of scans. Why does it cause twinges?

Due to miscarriage I've had a lot of internal scans and they can be very uncomfortable, as can externals in the early days. However I'm now nearly 30 weeks and my uterus is very much NOT retroverted grin

Louise34567 Wed 11-Nov-15 10:02:25

Serving sounds good.

For me, I think the foetus is just pressing towards my spine at the moment, as the womb's facing towards the spine - but it should flip forwards later on in pregnancy.

Hope all goes well for you - not long now 'til birth!

Twinwife Wed 11-Nov-15 16:45:01

I'm the same as serving. Have a retro erred uterus but no issues and at 36 weeks is definately flipped. No issues with DS1 either. Hope you feel better soon

CityMole Wed 11-Nov-15 17:09:55

Hi. I have had no physical issues so far that I have noticed (at 15 weeks), other than the fact that my scans are useless. At 10 weeks, my harmony scan had to be done transvaginally. My 12 week dating scan was useless for dating (partly because the baby was hiding, but the tilt definitely made it so much harder, and the sonographer gave up.) I'm back on Friday for another attempt at dating, and I'm just dreading it completely.

Icklepickle101 Wed 11-Nov-15 17:13:17

Oooh friends!!

My 20 week scan took an hour to get measurements as baby kept going 'round the corner' and sitting on my spine.

Now I'm 29 weeks the baby is happily transverse/breech depending on it's mood - apparently this is common with a tilted womb.

Louise34567 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:28:13

Thanks all! It sounds like our bodies just like to make things a little complicated, doesn't it :p

When I had my six week scan (long story, they thought I was 8 initially but the dates were wrong when I had the scan) they were pressing so hard. Thought I was going to throw up ha ha!

Louise34567 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:28:39

I think a retroverted uterus means we don't 'show' as much in the early stages, too.

MyNameIsSuz Wed 11-Nov-15 20:46:54

I have one, I have a child already but only found out recently after a mmc, made it through a whole pregnancy with no idea! It does explain my labour though - it was all in my back and I never felt what I expected contractions to feel like. Didn't get to hospital until quite late as I couldn't time contractions properly!

Louise34567 Thu 12-Nov-15 08:33:41

What did your contractions feel like; severe back-ache?

MyNameIsSuz Thu 12-Nov-15 13:28:57

Yes! Like something being jammed up my bum all the way up my spine. Actually, that's how my period pains are too, but less severe.

Louise34567 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:24:55

Suz for some reason that sounds a little less painful than contractions for a woman with a normal-facing uterus. That's what I want to tell myself anyway, for when the day comes :p

MyNameIsSuz Thu 12-Nov-15 20:59:00

Haha, it's only my experience, it might be different for you! And it was definitely painful, but I had a TENS machine, and it was actually a really good labour - 12 hours in total, didn't go to hospital until I was 8cm, only gas and air once I got there. I'm hoping I have similar this time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now