Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Progesterone suppository for thinning cervix?

(6 Posts)
MoreChilliPlease Mon 09-Nov-15 15:27:29

Another day, another horrible, horrible worry. sad Apologies for the long post.

Hello everyone, I'm really not having the best time at the moment. I'm 21 weeks pregnant now and had my cervical scan today following a LLETZ procedure I had earlier this year; my previous scans had shown no thinning and a CL of 35mm but today the doctors have found that my cervix has thinned by 10mm in four weeks and is now measuring at 25mm.

I've been put on a course of progesterone suppositories to be taken each night and will be scanned again every two weeks rather than the previously arranged monthly intervals (the next one was supposed to be the last check had everything looked ok).

Last week I did experience intermittent days of a kind of 'pressure' sensation, not dissimilar to the feeling of baby bearing down toward late pregnancy.

I did visit the hospital but forgot to mention the cervical checkups and so was only checked for any signs of opening. I wonder in hindsight whether the pressure I felt was the thinning which has been noted now; I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on the sensation for now should I experience it again.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience of progesterone supplements for cervical thinning and any positive outcomes of term or at least near term delivery. I'll be taking the progesterone until 34 weeks, and DD was born (pre-LLETZ) at 40 weeks with no complications, if that makes any difference to this.

Thanks everyone.

spacefrog35 Mon 09-Nov-15 18:09:16

There's a thread in the ante-natal area called 'the short cervix club' lots of positive experiences and hand holding available. I've seen a lot of positive things about progesterone. With regards the 'heavy' pressure whilst it can be an indication of a problem I also get the impression that the heavy feeling is not uncommon in a perfectly normal problem free pregnancy.

I hope things go well for you.

Dixiechick17 Mon 09-Nov-15 19:50:40

I had the same. Except my cervix was 3.5 at 23 weeks and had thinned down to 2.4 at 24 weeks. Because this had happened in a week I was given steroid injections, which I believe they do from 24 weeks to help develop the baby's lungs and had 400mg progesterone pessaries three times a day. I had weekly scans until I was 28 weeks and was told to rest whenever I was home. I then had fortnightly scans and was signed off at 32 weeks as they baby was partly engaged and putting pressure on my cervix. Continued with the pessaries, rested and my daughter arrives at 40+5, so for me, pessaries and rest really worked.

Dixiechick17 Mon 09-Nov-15 19:52:03

I always felt some pressure as my DD was head down the whole time. Not sure if this was because the cervix was thinning.

Newlywed123 Mon 09-Nov-15 21:14:17

I would try not to worry. I lost my son at 23 week's due to a weak cervix.

With my daughter my cervix measured 2.4cm when I was scanned at 16+6 the day after I had a bleed and my cervix shortened to 1.2cm. I had am emergency stitch placed and I carried her until 37 week's.

I had a stitch placed at 15 weeks with this Pregnancy. Cervix was 2.4cm I'm now 27 weeks and from what I know all is well. Got a scan next week. My last scan at 20 weeks my cervix lengthened to 2.8cm.

They're funny things, it could lengthen again but I've heard positive things about progesterone suppositorys smile

MoreChilliPlease Tue 10-Nov-15 08:32:00

Thank you so much for your replies. I'll definitely be hopping on to the support thread as well, so thanks for pointing that out.

I'm really appreciative of you sharing your stories and for giving me some hope. It's been a stressful 24 hours but I'm remaining hopeful that it'll be ok.

newlywed I'm very sorry to read of the loss of your lovely boy, but I'm glad the pregnancy with your daughter progressed healthily, and hope this one is the same. Good luck with your scan next week, hope it's good news for you.

Thanks again, all of you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now