Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hair loss in Pregnancy

(9 Posts)
PurplePoppy17 Mon 19-Oct-15 12:51:32

Ok so I'm only 14 weeks gone, my hair has always been very thin but since about 10 weeks it's started getting thinner and thinner and falling out. I have shoulder length hair and at the back of my head it seem to be breaking so badly. At first I thought it was little baby hairs growing in hoping that my hair was going to get thicker, as they say it does. But no, no such luck for me. I know that women usually lose hair after the baby is born but I think if I lost anymore I'd have none left. I'm really worrying (which obviously isn't helping) ahh. Any good tips? Suggestions? Anything?? confused

PurplePoppy17 Tue 20-Oct-15 14:48:14

Anyone? blush

C4thy81 Tue 20-Oct-15 14:51:15

I've always been lucky wen it comes to hair in pregnancy mine is soo thick and I never really noticed it my sisters however seemed to lose alot of hers she swore by morrocan oil good luck smile

miamiaMo Tue 20-Oct-15 16:18:10

just relax, i got the same, some months after child birth my hair stopped falling out. I know what you mean it might seem you are going to be bold or to have very thin hair for ever. My doc explained that it should be very heavy hair falling out to be bold. I did not remeber if i cut it, but everything came back as it had been before pregnancy.

macdat Tue 20-Oct-15 16:35:19

Some pregnancy hormones can make your hair drier, this can lead to breakage. So it isn't exactly the pregnancy doing it, more the dryness that comes with pregnancy. It's easily solved. I'm not sure on your hair type, so can't give real specific advice on that apart from to keep moisture in your hair. As it's coming to winter time, it can be even more of a problem because this weather just strips everything from our hair and skin sometimes. The reason the back is probably breaking most is it's rubbing on your collars and/or because you sleep on the back of your head so friction is breaking it. For that, you can use satin pillowcases as they have less friction, and have more updos so your hair isn't down and rubbing on shoulders and collars.
So, moisturise your hair (how depends on your hair type) tie hair up more often and try and get a satin pillowcase.

I forgot which hormone it is exactly, but it's just something in pregnancy that can dry hair out leading to breakage.

cth1982 Tue 20-Oct-15 16:40:15

Hi Purple - I had hair loss up until about 20+ weeks, it has only been within the last six weeks and fabled thicker hair has shown up! Try not to worry and the ladies on here are given some great tips!

Tootsiepops Tue 20-Oct-15 18:35:06

I had hair loss up to around 18 weeks. Now 35 weeks and it's glorious now. I'm really gutted at the thought of it all falling out again!

Worth mentioning to your midwife at your next appt though as hair loss can be a sign of thyroid problems.

PurplePoppy17 Tue 20-Oct-15 22:32:30

Thank you all so much for your replies!! I have very thin fragile hair as it is which is why I'm worrying so much as its just getting worse. I've just bought some new shampoo and I'm going to try it out to see if it helps. Thanks everyone smile x

golda098 Mon 13-Jun-16 10:52:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now