Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hamper for new mum, ideas for baby and her

(22 Posts)
GeneandFred Thu 08-Oct-15 15:57:38

Hi,

So my best friend is due in Feb. Want to make her a hamper with a few bits for baby and herself. She isn't finding out the sex so would love some ideas on what to put in it. She has a lot of stuff already from family, actually a truck load of stuff from clothes to toys to nappies.... So was thinking really along the lines of what things do you really need a few of for a new born? Bibs? Babygros? I have no idea!!! What bathing products for baby do you recommend?

And a few things for mum herself.

Thanks smile

MrsBartlettforthewin Thu 08-Oct-15 17:03:36

muslins are always needed. I never use bibs when they are tiny but having a muslin to hand to chuck over my shoulder when burbing or mop up sick is always handy. You can get some fun ones in pretty patterns and colours which she might not bother buying herself.
Also sleep suits are always welcome - my two genreally got through a few a day what with exploding nappies and spit up so having lots was very helpful (expecting the same when DS2 arrives in feb)

She'll probably only be washing them in water to start with but I always think a baby smells right when washed in Johnsons head to toe and love Johnsons baby lotion or oil for when a little bit bigger to giv them a bit of a massage after a bath.

Chocolate for her and maybe some bubbles to toast babys head with? Soft cheese if she likes it? Pate? Anything else she might like but couldn't have to eat whilst pregnant - proper coffee?

Hope this helps.

Clairejessica123 Thu 08-Oct-15 17:04:08

Maybe a subscription to a parenting magazine which she can start reading during maternity leave? If buying clothes i would recommend buying bigger as we had plenty of small sizes gifted to us but remember what season it will be when you buying certain things.

For mum maybe something like a nice hand cream or candle. I'm fairly far along now and getting lazy with using too many personal products.

Something like a baby record book or photo frame may be nice too

GeneandFred Fri 09-Oct-15 11:12:51

Fab ideas. Thanks so much. smile

Gosling90 Fri 09-Oct-15 11:34:22

Stain remover! Sounds like a strange suggestion but it's expensive and I get through tons of the stuff! Next size clothes and nappies, I had loads of first size but no one bought me 3-6 or 6-9. Baby record book, vouchers for a newborn photo shoot, maybe a treat for a new mum like a mobile hair or beauty treatment (as a new mum I get a choice of breakfast or washing my hair in a morning, I don't have time for both!).

AmyLouKin Fri 09-Oct-15 12:20:00

Well personally (only 21 wks atm) I would love;
Snacks, as I doubt making lots of food will be top priority.
Muslin cloths as you can never have too many.
An unusual soft toy for baby (bit bored with bunnies and bears).
How about mini bottle of champagne to celebrate? I don't drink but sure others might like it. (Or nice soft drink like elderflower presse)
Nice chocolates they wouldn't buy themselves.
Little soft baby blanket.

Oh and personally I wouldn't want johnsons products but your friend may well like them. Maybe have a word first and see if she is going eco friendly or prefers another brand before buying that sort of stuff! You could always get her some posh stuff she wouldn't buy for baby herself, depending on budget, of course.

Good luck, your friend will love it I'm sure and she is lucky to have someone to put the effort in to doing this for her! Xx

missl1 Fri 09-Oct-15 12:34:05

nothing to do with baby or being a mum but some vouchers for her fav clothes shop so she can buy herself a brand new outfit once the baby is born. after wearing the same old maternity clothes day in day out i would LOVE something like this. also found i was bombarded with smellies and stretch mark oil and foot balm and all sorts of crap i never used. clothes all the way :-)

capecath Fri 09-Oct-15 13:51:43

We used lots of bibs (DS3 was very drooly!) and muslins. Perhaps a cute squishy book or toy to attach to buggy. A breastfeeding cover or top (if planning to breastfeed). Or bottles, teets, formula. Nappies and wipes always useful! Vests and sleepsuits. Lansinoh and Metanium (the yellow one). Chocs for mummy always welcome smile Bath toy. I love the smell of Johnson's, especially the baby bubble bath and shampoo are most useful. Very unfortunately though we had to eventually stop using due to sensitive skin... Now we have to use boring oilatum hmm.

Rufus200 Fri 09-Oct-15 14:14:14

Green people products and love boo products are really nice. My friend raved about the green people baby box I gave her, called hello baby box.

CarShare Fri 09-Oct-15 14:41:38

I would like:

One of those insulated mugs to keep my brew warm whilst feeding

A little memory box for scan pic, hospital band etc (Ikea/Amazon have inexpensive pretty boxes)

A print out of details of local mum and baby groups

A baby sitting voucher to be redeemed at any stage in the future

Such a kind and thoughtful thing to do- I'm sure she'll love it whatever you go for!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Fri 09-Oct-15 16:33:37

What a lovely idea

I got bought lots of Johnson's, grateful but can't use it and still use water on DS!

Some ideas that perhaps others won't have bought:
- a star wrap for baby
- funky giraffe bibs (for teething later and drool)
- chocolate! Or whatever she likes food wise
- Hand cream, my hands were and still are so dry from all the extra hand washing
- Netflix voucher or similar
- Nice sports water bottle or tea Thermos mug thing
- Mummy mits - great for winter pram pushing

CarShare Fri 09-Oct-15 16:58:16

I love this company for blankets and star wraps- have used them four or five times for gifts for friends babies:

tuppenceandcrumble.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home

They're also on Not on the High Street but are less expensive direct through their website.

JasperDamerel Fri 09-Oct-15 17:11:36

For the mum:

An insulated mug.
Really nice hand cream
Chocolate
If she likes herbal tea, a box of something nice.
If she's breastfeeding, a bottle of grown-up squash and maybe a print-out if useful local and national helpline numbers.

For the baby:

Some baby socks from Gap (they are hugely better than any others)

Baby massage oil (Waitrose for cheap but good quality, l'Occitaine for luxury)

A wet bag with a nice print, for carrying soiled clothes around.

JasperDamerel Fri 09-Oct-15 17:18:23

These are the sorts of things I mean for the wet bags:

www.babipur.co.uk/cloth-nappies/nappy-wet-bags.html

LucozadeBreath Fri 09-Oct-15 17:20:59

Cussons mum and me arnica bath soak for the new mum...completely saved my sore fanjo grin

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 09-Oct-15 17:26:35

Glad someone said socks! Next size clothes, bum cream, colic drops, teething gel, parsons powder, all practical.stuff others over look.
Snacks, chocolate, hot chocolate, free pass to call any time for a good cry ...

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 09-Oct-15 17:28:46

I did a hamper which included very boring but very useful bits! Calpol, nurofen, dentinox shampoo, sudocrem and bepanthen, baby soap, baby moisturiser, lansinoh... All things that when you need them, you're really glad that you've already got it!
However - you have to know the mum pretty well, she might be one that doesn't believe in paracetamol!!

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 09-Oct-15 17:30:58

Think we all thought that!!

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 09-Oct-15 17:36:31

My favourite present of all was a cold bottle of veuve which I had a glass or two of to celebrate. It was delicious after the months of not drinking because of pregnancy (obviously!) and terrible heartburn!

fredandme123 Fri 09-Oct-15 18:41:20

Neals Yard do lovely baby and mummy products. I was bought a set for baby and would have loved the mummy set too. Super soft Muslins I have found JL to be the best. Jo Jo do the most beautiful sleep suits so you could get a special one from there. As previously suggested all the baby remedies like snuffle drops/ calpol / infacol is a great idea. Food like cereal bars. Vouchers for baby holding duties so she can have a hair wash (would have killed for this in first 6months!) baby milestone cards if you are creative you could make your own version personalised to the parents. I could go on but I won't keep blabbing! Lovely that your doing this for her (and super organised I was thinking about doing it for a friend due next month!)

Twinwife Fri 09-Oct-15 18:56:42

Best presents for me were home cooked meals for my freezer-wonderful

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 09-Oct-15 19:21:24

I would also suggest a decent water bottle or flask for the pram, awful thirsty work ... and some places you cant get them pram in to get a drink.
And why not, instead of a basket - a car emergency pack ... as above with calpol, nappies wipes, gel, sealed bottle, dummy etc ... i thought like a plastic tool box ... type ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now