Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Group B strep question

(5 Posts)
Frillsandspillsx2 Tue 06-Oct-15 22:13:56

I found out today that group B strep was found on a vaginal swab I had a few months ago. The midwife told me when I go into labour or as soon as my waters break I will have IV antibiotics. I asked if my baby would need them once born and she said not necessarily.

I've just made the mistake of googling it and Google made it sound a lot more dramatic than the midwife.

I was just wondering what other people's experiences were? Did you stay in hospital as soon as contractions started/as soon as your waters broke or leaked? Or did your baby have to have antibiotics when he/she was born?

Also just wondering if anyone knew if I could still have a Waterbirth?

I will be able to discuss it with my midwife at my appointment in a couple of weeks but as it was on my mind I thought I'd ask fellow mumsnetters!

Quodlibet Tue 06-Oct-15 22:29:26

Hi there

I had a similar experience to you and likewise freaked myself out with google, but actually it was all fine. My waters stayed intact so I went into hospital when contractions were 3 in 10 and laboured mostly in the pool with a cannula in my hand and IV ABs every 4 hours. DD had no ill effects and didn't have to have ABs. The midwives were very routine about it. I think it's more and more common for it to be flagged in pregnancy (and so many of us carry it) and the ABs is a precaution that actually isn't too much of a faff during childbirth. I hope that reassures you a bit.

Frillsandspillsx2 Tue 06-Oct-15 22:37:41

Thank you Quod! That is very reassuring, thank you!

Hopefully my waters won't break beforehand as I think that would probably make me panic, but the midwife did say I'd just be put on antibiotics straight away anyway so hopefully that should be ok.

TakesTwoToTango Tue 06-Oct-15 23:22:23

My waters broke straight away. I went in and was given the antibiotics at 4 hr intervals. I would have been fine for a water birth except there was meconium in the waters so I had to be on dry land for monitoring (nothing to do with the gbs). Baby born naturally 10hrs later absolutely fine. Temp monitored for 24 hrs after delivery but no antibiotics given to baby after birth.

Frillsandspillsx2 Tue 06-Oct-15 23:41:34

Thank you TakesTwo, it seems it isn't anything to worry about really, I shouldn't have googled it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now