Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low HcG levels :(

(23 Posts)
YorkshireMummy0516 Thu 24-Sep-15 20:23:31

Hi all,
I'm 5 weeks tomorrow and been having cramping pains for 3w. Dr thought I could be ectopic and sent me for a scan. Scan showed tiny possibility but too early to tell if viable and also showed a cyst on my ovary.
I had bloods taken for HcG on Tuesday and again today, and they've not doubled like they should have. I have to go back for another blood test on Saturday.
No one is telling me what any possible outcomes for this are other than its still possible I'm ectopic.
This is my first baby, am I likely to miscarry or is it possible to go full term with a healthy baby with low HcG? Is there anything I can do to boost the levels or is it a case of what will be will be?
Please help, feeling so down at the moment :'(

eurochick Thu 24-Sep-15 20:26:59

I'm sorry you have this worry. There is nothing you can do about the levels - they are what they are.

Hcg levels in healthy pregnancies can vary a lot but I did go on to miscarry when I had low hcg levels.

AndDeepBreath Thu 24-Sep-15 20:49:11

Oh dear ... thanks for the stress you're going through. It does sound a bit like an ectopic (one of mine was) and I know how frightening that is. It might not be though; the fact that they're inviting you back means they're not too sure. Either way, there's nothing you can do to change levels but the important thing is that they're monitoring you and are going to look after you.

Right now, you can't change anything, you can only wait and focus on getting through it perhaps minute at a time. Be kind to yourself and don't underestimate hormones, whether this is a miscarriage or not. Can you take a gentle bath perhaps or do something distracting?

Aqualady Thu 24-Sep-15 20:57:58

Hi op, sorry to hear about your situation, I'm in a similar one.

I had IVF had since I tested positive on Monday I've been spotting and did a blood test that showed very high hormone levels but I've started bleeding heavily and some small cots and back tomoro to see if they are rising. :-( I'm not holding much hope.

I've had two eptopics. Are you experiencing any pain on either side? They are very dangerous and both of mine ruptured. So you really need to be vigilant and any pain go straight to A&E

It's very worrying isn't it. Hope we both have good luck

MissMarpleCat Thu 24-Sep-15 21:01:35

For all of you who are worried flowers
My friend had this at the start of her pregnancy and delivered a healthy baby 3 days ago (3 weeks early, baby fine) just to give you all some hope smile

mummyneedinganswers Fri 25-Sep-15 02:13:21

Hi. I had an ovarian cyst rupture at 4 weeks pregnant my hcg levels were very low only 270 and then 48 hours later only reached 450 I still have another cyst on my ovary that hasn't ruptured. I'm now 30 weeks pregnant so I didn't lose my baby through it all it took a while for things to settle and I have quite a bit of pain now that I'm near the end because of the cyst but nothing to sore iyswim. The consultant kept asking me was I bleeding and to prepare myself for the worst as my whole pelvis was full of fluid from the cyst. I've had 4 miscarriages before this one so was pretty number and was expecting to miscarry if I'm honest but she hung in there. Low hcg doesn't always mean a miscarriage is inevitable.

I will advise you to make sure that with whatever outcome they give you that they are 100% as they originally sent me for surgery to remove my baby as she was ectopic when she wasn't it was a cyst. I would tell you to look back through my thread from March as I wrote about it when I was in hospital(for 5days) going through it but probably impossible to find.

I hope you get a good outcome like mine good luck xx

YorkshireMummy0516 Fri 25-Sep-15 19:24:12

Thank you all, you've eased my mind a little! Back at the hospital tomorrow to have my 3rd set of tests, hopefully they'll get me back for a scan during the week. I'll feel happier when I see a heartbeat!!
This has been my first post on mumsnet, you really are a lovely community smile xx

YorkshireMummy0516 Sat 26-Sep-15 13:13:19

Just a quick update, it's not ectopic! The scan showed a normal inter uterine pregnancy, but with no heart beat as yet. I'm waiting for my blood results on the HcG levels and have another scan on Friday (that will make me 6w) to see if there's a heartbeat. The pain is caused by the cyst bursting, so it should subside in the next few weeks. This is all good news so far and we're very chuffed grin

AndDeepBreath Sat 26-Sep-15 13:16:17

Great news smile heartbeats often don't show up this early. I hope it's all plain sailing (or as close as possible) from here! Keep taking lots of care of yourself.

Francoitalialan Sat 26-Sep-15 13:23:21

I had IVF and my first reading was 29, but I was given steroids and it went to 45 and then 145. The key factor is the "doubling time" - the time it takes for the hcg level to double. The shorter the time, the better, is the theory. Anyway the oregnancy continued unremarkably and the result is a very boisterous 6 year old.
Very best of luck OP. This is truly the hardest time. X X

YorkshireMummy0516 Sun 27-Sep-15 10:47:13

So the hospital rang and said my HcG levels are still low, Tuesday was 4900, Thursday was 6800 and Saturday was 11000. They still won't tell me what effect this might have on the baby but I have another scan on Friday to find the heartbeat so will have to see smile

Francoitalialan Sun 27-Sep-15 22:51:45

Crossing everything for you X

YorkshireMummy0516 Thu 01-Oct-15 22:26:26

6w scan tomorrow to try and locate a heartbeat and hopefully put the dr's mind at rest that there is no 2nd, ectopic, pregnancy. Certainly feeling it; feel very sick all the time (no actual vomiting as yet, thankfully, touch wood!) and getting the most intense pain in the centre of my lower abdomen over night - actually sleeping on the sofa for comfort sad hoping all is normal so I can keep telling myself that the symptoms will be worth it in the end!
Wish us luck!

BumbleBee0 Thu 01-Oct-15 22:40:23

Hope your scan is positive tomorrow yorkshire. I was told at the hospital that hcg doubling every 48 hours is only the optimal rate, but this is not the case for every healthy pregnancy. I've been in your position early this year but sadly it ended in mc (my hcg was below 1000 though and had only risen by 10%), at the time I'm sure I read that an increase of 70% over 48-72 hours is considered normal. Good luck x

sepa Fri 02-Oct-15 09:01:42

Good luck for today!

Number3cometome Fri 02-Oct-15 09:45:28

Good luck OP

YorkshireMummy0516 Fri 02-Oct-15 18:44:50

We found a heartbeat star star
Ultrasonographer said little one is only 3mm long so I'm a few days short of 6w but there was a little teeny heartbeat <3
We've been told we're ok now until the 12wk scan - going to be the longest 6weeks ever!

Hellohellohowareyou Fri 02-Oct-15 18:52:17

Only just read your thread but just wanted to give you a massive congratulations! Wonderful news flowers

MissMarpleCat Fri 02-Oct-15 22:14:39

Great news op flowers
I'll keep my fingers x for you.

Number3cometome Mon 05-Oct-15 09:43:57

Lovely news! Keeping everything crossed for you!

Louisee58 Mon 05-Oct-15 11:07:43

6 weeks tomorrow also and had a scan last week to check it wasn't ectopic, found a heart beat which was lovely......6 anxious weeks of waiting for the 12 week scan with you now grin

YorkshireMummy0516 Sun 28-Feb-16 10:15:43

I realise I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but feel this little baby has come so far smile I'm now 7m, huge and incubator to a very active little girl star
I had a 4D done at 24w, isn't it amazing how far technology has come on smile can't seem to share the pic though..

Osirus Sun 28-Feb-16 12:00:17

That's lovely news and it's great that you came back to update. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now