Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Taking older DC to 20wk scan

(14 Posts)
MouldyPeach Wed 23-Sep-15 14:03:36

I have my 20 week scan on a Saturday, which is great for not having to take time off work but not so great for childcare. I have 2 DD, aged 12 & 6, and I'm conflicted over taking them along or not.
This has been a textbook pregnancy (apart from wonderful hyperemesis but that obviously hasn't effected the baby) but I do know that things can go wrong and something could be spotted at this scan.
Has anyone taken older children to a scan? Is it even allowed by hospitals? Any input to help me unpickle my brain a bit would be very welcome!

Every1KnowsJeffHesUsuallyACunt Wed 23-Sep-15 14:09:29

Check your hospitals policy on this. Our hospital says no under 7's in scan rooms and only 1 extra person with you. And they are very strict about it.

I've had extra bonding scans this time and taken my 4 dc with us to see their baby sibling but the scans were after all the relevant health checks had been done and we knew everything was OK. I don't think I'd have taken them to the NHS ones anyway just in case.

Skiptonlass Wed 23-Sep-15 14:20:39

My hospital allows one extra person only and has signs up saying not to bring other kids.

The 20 week scan is to check for anatomy defects, so I'd be very wary of taking anyone who wasn't my partner in with me. The sonographers needs to concentrate and if they did find something they'd need to talk to you about it.

I think the idea of a bonding scan after the all clear is a great one

PosterEh Wed 23-Sep-15 14:23:17

I'd take them and get the 12 year old to sit in the waiting room with the 6 year old if it's a problem.

PosterEh Wed 23-Sep-15 14:24:01

My last hospital allowed it.

MouldyPeach Wed 23-Sep-15 14:26:37

Thanks both.
A bonding scan would be a private scan after the all clear at 20 weeks? Sounds like a wonderful idea.
Getting childcare won't be impossible but will be tricky so I may have them wait in the waiting room (is a big hospital with several sonography rooms and a large waiting area with toys/tv/play area). They are sensible and I do trust DD12 to look after DD6.

MouldyPeach Wed 23-Sep-15 14:27:39

Thanks poster I think waiting room might be my plan.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Wed 23-Sep-15 14:29:21

I agree, I'd have the big one watch the little one in the waiting area. If you have a phone or something that would occupy the six year old then so much the better.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 23-Sep-15 15:32:16

My hospital don't allow it, although if you get a nice sonographer she might let you bring them in once everything is checked and looks OK.

Fugghetaboutit Wed 23-Sep-15 15:34:52

My hospital said do not bring children as if there is bad news and you get upset, it could upset them in a letter I got.

I wouldn't take kids anyway.

MouldyPeach Wed 23-Sep-15 17:49:13

Yes I understand about getting bad news and upset, although I am quite torn on that. They would have to be told the bad news eventually, although receiving it at the same time I did would probably not be ideal. It's tricky. I think I'm leaning toward leaving them outside, hoping everything is ok and a nice sono who lets them in for a little look. If that doesn't happen there will be pictures anyway and the news of brother or sister hopefully.

wonkylegs Wed 23-Sep-15 17:53:31

After my bad news scan when I miscarried I would never take DS. He comes to my hospital appointments (chronic health condition) but sits outside with iPad. He's been doing this since he was 5 and has always been ok. If your children are moderately well behaved I'd consider this.

MouldyPeach Wed 23-Sep-15 18:06:02

I'm sorry to hear that wonky

They are well behaved and older one will look after the other. I want them to be there and feel included, now that I've thought about it more, and I'm going to take them and leave them outside.

Cherryblossomsinspring Thu 24-Sep-15 00:01:37

My hospital has a strict policy that only one other adult can attend the 20 weeks scan. No exceptions. Once you know all is well, could you take them to a private scan?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now