Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital bag question!

(18 Posts)
Frillsandspillsx2 Fri 18-Sep-15 00:18:34

I'm 27 weeks so thinking about having a hospital bag ready within the next few weeks so that its all ready and one less thing to worry about.

I've been picking up a few bits and as I'm aiming for a water birth (although I know circumstances can change) I'm not expecting to stay in hospital that long.
So far ive bought a pair of pyjamas and a nightie for my stay in hospital just in case I'm there longer than usual. I will be purchasing a bikini soon for the pool but I was thinking it's pointless getting bikini bottoms.
Is that enough for me to wear in hospital? Or should I take more in case I need to stay in? (I dont live far from the hospital if it makes more sense for someone to bring me extra things should I need them) I'm quite clueless and I'm not sure whether pyjama bottoms will need changing regularly after the birth. I will buy plenty of maternity pads and things, just wondering how many pyjamas and things I should take, or should I leave pyjamas and stick to nighties are they more comfortable post birth?

also, should I think of taking a mini suitcase sort of thing for my things, then an overnight style bag for baby things, or does that seem like too much? I feel like with my toiletries as well as things for the baby I will need a fair bit of space, but I don't want to look like I'm going on holiday for the week.

Im ok in terms of knowing what to bring for the baby, and I'm okay for toiletries for myself (although haven't got them ready yet) I'm just a bit lost with what sort of things I will need to wear.
Sorry this is quite a trivial question, but if I let myself I'd be taking all sorts of unnecessary things or hardly anything at all!

Thank you!

mummyneedinganswers Fri 18-Sep-15 00:35:56

Not sure but would pack more that that I'd say two nighties and two pyjamas if your induced it could take a while and even at that if it's natural labour it could be a while before u get in pool and if your in nightie and waters break you will need to change etc I would just bring extras Incase

dontpokethebear Fri 18-Sep-15 00:36:13

Hello!
I took in a pair of pyjamas, 2 nighties, a light weight dressing gown and LOADS of disposable knickers. Most supermarkets do them now (I got mine from Wilkinson's, very cheap). When buying maternity pads, I wouldn't bother with the slim line ones. They were about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Frillsandspillsx2 Fri 18-Sep-15 00:48:47

Thank you so much, I'll take a few extra pyjamas/nighties.
I need to buy a lightweight dressing gown, I love my thick ones but I feel they'll be far too warm when in labour and they take up too much room!

annatha Fri 18-Sep-15 01:11:36

I'd take a couple of pairs of bottoms, even if you have a short stay. Baby could be sick/poo all over you, and lochia can be quite heavy at first so may leak. Dark colours are best to hide any leaks. I wouldn't bother with paper knickers as they're really uncomfortable, just get lots of cheap dark grannie pants from primark and LOTS of pads (i doubled up on thr first day so a pack doesnt last long). Black leggings are good, especially maternity ones as they'll be comfy on your belly. I'd pack enough to assume for one overnight stay, and if you have to stay any longer than your dp can bring more stuff in. I had my first at 11pm and left the hospital at 6pm the next day. If I'd have had dd in the morning I could've been in and out in a day but there weren't the right staff on overnight to discharge me, so even if your birth goes to plan more often than not they'll be one night in hospital, especially for a first as they'll want to ensure you're confident feeding baby etc. A couple of pairs of leggings or PJ bottoms and tops (stretchy if planning to bf) along with a cardigan should be fine, you just don't want to get caught out without a change of clothes even if your house isn't too far away.

Cheshirehello79 Fri 18-Sep-15 19:27:19

Frills matalan/ m&s have lovely light dressing gown 20% off at present I bought a lovely navy blue from m&s that I could use after birth too:-)

I've bought 3 nighties no pjs as everyone was saying pjs can get uncomfortable and nighties are easy access.

I've also bought always thick night pads - a lot of people recommended them I bought 10 packs from home & bargain.

I'm taking a standard hand luggage ( everything fits in including baby stuff.

Don't forget slippers / 2 pairs of socks - as I know you're having winter baby like myself and flip flops for hospital bathroom .

Above all don't forget your mini makeup bag :-)

Frillsandspillsx2 Fri 18-Sep-15 20:39:29

Thank you so much!

cheshire I will definitely have a look in m&s and matalan! I think I'll take a few more nighties but take the pyjamas just in case (I got them a few sizes too big so I wouldn't be able to wear them any other time).

I will definitely remember slippers - huge fluffy ones as I have extremely cold feet even in summer!

Frasras11 Fri 18-Sep-15 20:54:53

Last time I packed loads of stuff and I used about half of it. This time I'm taking enough for a couple of days for both baby and me. If I'm in longer then OH or my mam can bring stuff in for us. You might not even need the dressing gown. I found the post natal ward so bloody hot I didn't even want the pyjamas on!

Lucy61 Fri 18-Sep-15 21:13:56

For most women,food is the last thing they think of but I was induced and laboured for an loooong time. A couple of cereal bars and some cartons of orange juice came in handy. You can get maternity pads from boots- they are huge but you need them to be. A few hair bands/ scrunchies, labour does mad things to your hair.

Lucy61 Fri 18-Sep-15 21:14:34

*a

BeverlyGoldberg Fri 18-Sep-15 21:16:08

A re-fillable water bottle. You'll want lots of water and you won't want to be dicking about with little plastic cups when shit starts getting real.

Justtrying Fri 18-Sep-15 21:21:59

Definitely nighties as you might need a catheter, button up at the top for easy breast feeding and skin on skin. Primary granny knickers and lots of maternity pads. Leggings or soft waisted bottoms to go home in. Slippers, magazines and a small plastic jug for washing and toilet needs post birth. I didn't eat any of the snacks packed, but I did relish the cartons of juice/Capri sun post birth, hospitals are very warm and I was parched and immobile post birth. Good luck

Justtrying Fri 18-Sep-15 21:23:29

Oh another thought, outfits for baby in a couple of sizes, dd was really long and newborn baby grows didn't go near her, my mum had to bring 3-6month ones in.

Tfoot75 Sat 19-Sep-15 09:12:55

I took 3 or 4 long nighties with buttons for skin to skin / bf (needed these anyway), a pair of dark maternity joggers that I wore to go home in, lots of large cheap pants, nursing bra (although not sure if I wore this while wearing nightie or not?) and a couple of packs of the thick maternity pads (don't think I used them all though as switched to slim ones after 2 days. Lansinoh, breast pads, and some squash. Can't remember what else. Baby needs plenty of newborn sleepsuits, first size nappies, cotton wool and a pot for water I suppose, although trying to clean up meconium with cotton wool is ridiculously difficult and inconvenient, so I'll probably sneak in some water wipe type things second time round.

OffMyAyersRocker Sat 19-Sep-15 09:23:25

You won't need a dressing gown, it's really hot in hospitals!

I didn't bother with cotton wool, baby wipes all the way.

CarShare Sat 19-Sep-15 09:31:35

Sorry if these things have been said already but flip flops for shower, sports cap drinking bottles, sweets/snacks, clothes/knickers you're happy to chuck straight in the bin, thick maternity pads, leggings and feeding vests. Good luck!

SnozzberryPie Sat 19-Sep-15 09:33:16

I wore pj bottoms but maybe take a nightie in case you need an emcs.

The ward was unbearably hot so pack your lightest summery pjs. Flip flops not slippers.

I would pack a separate bag for a longer stay, but leave it at home, then if you do need it then you can just ask your dh to pick up the bag rather than sending him home with a list (and him bringing the wrong things- voice of bitter experience)

WiIdfire Sat 19-Sep-15 09:35:22

I'd pack a second bag to leave at home (or sort out a pile of suitable things). I planned to stay in one day after my nice waterbirth, but made it home over a week later having gone nowhere near the pool. You dont want to risk your other half bringing in completely unsuitable clothes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now