Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Downs Screening 1:3723

(11 Posts)
Rose58 Thu 10-Sep-15 17:57:04

Looking fir done reassurance. Our fx measurement was 1.4mm at 12 week scan. The combined redults came in today at 1 in 3723. Although low when looking online this number seems not so great. Some mums having results of 1 in tens of thousands. Should I be worried?

Littlefrenchmummy Thu 10-Sep-15 17:59:52

No i got about that for both pregnancies. 1/3000 for first child and 1/4000 for the second and that was classed as low.

If you really think about it it seems like not great odds, i remember feeling like you.

But its fine really smile Its a good result smile Think positive and try and enjoy your pregnancy xxx

Rose58 Thu 10-Sep-15 18:28:02

Thank you for your reply! And apologies for typo's - predictive text! Logically I know this is very low risk but my mothering worry is taking over my brain!!

BadgerFace Thu 10-Sep-15 20:53:59

My combined test was 1/300 and I was still classed as low risk so your number seems very low risk to me! I also had the Harmony test as my hospital is a research hospital so offer it to most people. My results then came back as 1:10,000.

What are you comparing your results to? As your number is from the combined test then it is not really comparable to resukts on the Harmony test as they only come back as 1/2 or 1/10,000 so there is no inbetween.

Your risk percentage is 0.02%, so really low!

Brummiegirl15 Thu 10-Sep-15 21:25:20

Anything over 1 in 150 is considered low risk. You are very low risk!!!

PurpleGuppy Tue 15-Sep-15 11:37:33

I know how you feel Rose, it's easy to get worried when you compare to other people's results isn't it?
Ours were similar and I was worried at first but trying to be realistic and realise it's a very very small risk.

docmcstuffins1 Tue 15-Sep-15 11:44:11

I got 1 in 666 which is low! DH says that number means low risk of baby having Downs but high risk of it being a little devil!

PotteringAlong Tue 15-Sep-15 11:47:33

My friend had a 1:10,000 result and she was that 1:10,000.

If you want to know for definite you need a different test. Otherwise I wouldn't worry.

sleepyhead Tue 15-Sep-15 11:53:51

It means what it means, no more or less.

So, based on the combined results of the measurement of nuchal fold, bloods, and any other factors they might have taken into consideration such as your age, if 3723 women exactly like you all had babies, one of those babies would have down syndrome.

I was 1:27 with ds2. Good nuchal measurement, dodgy bloods, old (40). Had an amnio, ds2 did not have down syndrome, or any other genetic anomaly, which (although hell to go through at the time) was the logically expected outcome.

Everyone has their own personal perception of what sort of risk level is acceptable to them before they would want to investigate further. Mine was 1:50. At 1:3723 I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

It is a great result smile

thesmallbear Tue 15-Sep-15 16:48:59

My Down's risk from the NHS combined test was 1:80. Although considered high risk, that still meant there was a 98% chance that she didn't have Down's (she's 10 weeks old now and doesn't have Down's). I wouldn't worry about it.

ouryve Tue 15-Sep-15 16:49:57

People play the lottery on worse odds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now