Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational Diabetes

(8 Posts)
FairytaleTraveller Tue 08-Sep-15 20:38:36

I am 15+4 wks with my second baby. I had GD with my first at 28wks and had no probs at all and didn't need insulin just controlled diet. I have been told I will more than likely get it again, this time sooner. However, been checking my bloods and all look ok. Anyone had gestational diabetes for the second time? If so did you get it sooner, worse etc or even vice versa, not get again at all? I remember the consultant putting the fear of God into me with my DS saying he'd be a huge baby, but when born he was only 6lbs 10oz!!! Just felt really unnecessary to me. Thanks all x

PosterEh Tue 08-Sep-15 20:43:36

I got it sooner second time. First pregnancy I had an early gtt at 16 weeks due to glucose in urine which was clear but then was diagnosed at 28 weeks. I needed metformin. Second pregnancy I was diagnosed at 14 weeks and was on metformin and insulin from 16 weeks.

But... I was presiabetic between my pregnancies. It appears I have problems with my blood sugars when my bmi is above about 20. Interestingly my blood sugars were fine after dc2 when I was at my lightest weight as an adult (having been on the diet for so long!).

PosterEh Tue 08-Sep-15 20:44:14

Prediabetic not presiabetic (thanks autocorrect)

FairytaleTraveller Tue 08-Sep-15 20:48:59

Thanks! I must admit, I'm not the lightest feather! Haha. Ice been told to definitely expect it. Just a shame I can't access the state of the art new maternity suite at our local hospital as I'll be considered 'high risk!' God knows why, I didnt have any issues at all during labour or birth. I was induced at 38wks due to the GD as they thought DS was big (which he was tiny!) maybe this time it'll al be different!

PosterEh Tue 08-Sep-15 20:58:06

Yes they predicted both mine would be big - dd was 7lbs and ds was 7lb3.

I've reached the point now where I actually prefer the idea of being induced.

Are they going to do the gtt or have they just asked you to test as if you already have it?

FairytaleTraveller Tue 08-Sep-15 21:00:36

No I don't need another gtt just got to carry on blood testing (which is painful!) dread it if I had to do insulin confused

Normandy144 Tue 08-Sep-15 23:01:45

I was diagnosed today with it for a second time. I knew I would be. I've been testing but also sticking to a good diet, but nonetheless when I drank the lucozade it spiked loads (funny that's why I don't drink the stuff!) I have to pick up my test kit tomorrow. Am expecting a big lecture. I controlled it fine with diet and exercise last time so will just follow what I did last time and hope I can control it. First time I was diagnosed at 28 weeks, baby was 8lbs 7, so more than average I guess but not a whopper.

yolorolo Wed 09-Sep-15 06:45:09

Diagnosed at 28 weeks last year when pregnant with ds, on the cusp though. Diet controlled and refused medication, told throughout that he would be a monster he weighed 5lb 2oz! This pregnancy was told I would develop it earlier, haven't so far and I am 31 weeks. My consultant and midwife seem almost disappointed after each normal gtt test and I have had four so far!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now