Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I think I'm pregnant - freaking out.

(24 Posts)
Leanneosaurus Tue 08-Sep-15 19:31:34

I planned this pregnancy, I'm 35 and decided the time was right. I'm 2 days overdue for my period and while one part of me is super excited, the other part of me has just started freaking out wondering if I've done the right thing. Am I ready? Will I be a good Mum? What if I don't bond with the baby? Will I be able to cope? I feel terrified.

Is this normal?

confusedandemployed Tue 08-Sep-15 19:32:56

Hell yeah. I shat my pants when I realised grin

POAS!!!

Leanneosaurus Tue 08-Sep-15 19:49:07

So not just me then? I mean, I don't know for certain that I am pregnant but I know I'll be very disappointed if I'm not and yet, I can't stop freaking out. It's very surreal being scared and excited at the same time.

ARV1981 Tue 08-Sep-15 19:49:33

Yep. Still feeling this and due to be induced on Monday!

fruitpastille Tue 08-Sep-15 19:56:51

Felt like that every time!

Leanneosaurus Tue 08-Sep-15 20:00:03

Does it go away?

BifsWif Tue 08-Sep-15 20:09:50

Completely normal!! It goes away once baby is born don't worry...!

TEST grin

TenForward82 Tue 08-Sep-15 20:38:19

We planned for 2 years, TTC for 6 months, been together 9 years total and married for 1.5 years before finally conceiving.

I'm 17 weeks and I still feel like this. LOADS of anxiety. I like my peace and quiet! Unfortunately I'm finding it hard to remember I'll love my child like nothing else, so she won't be a nuisance to me or a drag on my time.

OctoberCupcake Tue 08-Sep-15 20:38:46

Yes! I'm 6 weeks and feel much the same, despite it being a conscious decision to stop preventing it now we're married, it wasn't supposed to happen straight away!! My major worry is that we have a very selfish life, will we be able to adapt?? What if I resent not being able to do as I please, when I please? hmm

Just telling myself it will all be fine when he/she is here!

I must say it's refreshing to see these kinds of posts. I was on another forum where it seemed if anyone was anything less than catatonic with absolute joy, they were a freak confused

Junosmum Tue 08-Sep-15 20:42:41

Oh yes, totally normal. We'd decided to try and then I freaked out, put the breaks on, booked a holiday to Peru and then bam! Pregnant! Soooo pleased though. 21 weeks now.

TenForward82 Tue 08-Sep-15 20:45:33

if anyone was anything less than catatonic with absolute joy, they were a freak

october That was my mum's reaction when I tried to talk about how I was feeling. Didn't make that mistake again confused

Also have a friend 3 months further along than I am and she feels the same too. It's a life-changing thing! Totally normal to feel weird about it (but easy to feel like you're the only one)

Leanneosaurus Tue 08-Sep-15 20:54:42

Thanks girls, at least I know I'm not alone smile

Jasmine12 Wed 09-Sep-15 10:11:12

My first was not planned. I had the same worries as you have. I found pregnancy very hard to cope since I was not ready for it. When DS was born, I didnt bond with him instantly. I loved him, I was concerned for him, but nothing like the selfless infinite love a mum has. I used to stare at him for ages, admiring the little miracle DH and I made.

I dont remember when things turned, he totally won me over. He is 7 now - I love him endlessly, infinitely more than anything else. I am having a second child now because DS wanted a sibling. I cant believe I am doing it all over again I have the same "detached" feelings for the new baby now, I didnt cry when I first saw the baby on the ultrasound. I was more like a stranger asking "is everything ok with the baby". But I cant wait to see this baby, I KNOW my heart will melt one day and I will once again be hopelessly in love! It is unfortunately just the way I am emotionally.

Op, you will be ok. Relax and eat nutritious food and enjoy your pregnancy. You WILL bond with your baby - he/she will melt your heart like never before. It can be on Day1, day 10 or month 3. Just take it as it comes. Some people's emotions work slowly, dont feel guilty. its just the way you are.

Sending you love smile

FluffyPersian Wed 09-Sep-15 10:56:18

I took a test yesterday and it was positive - 24 hours later, my head is still spinning but I was so grateful to all the women who posted support as just knowing you're not a freak for being so anxious / worried / nervous has been really helpful.

I didn't get a wink of sleep last night, constantly thinking 'This is great' to 'I don't know if I can do this, I love my life as it is. .. I'm too selfish'... But I guess it's just your brain trying to process such eventful news.

I think it's really helpful knowing you're not alone smile

Skiptonlass Wed 09-Sep-15 11:06:40

It's absolutely normal.

Think of it like this - all those anxious thoughts are your brain sorting through worries, fears and 'worst case' scenarios. The mums who thought 'argh but what about cave bears/the cold/clean water/ ' etc were probably better at keeping their little ones alive, right?

All these weird 'what if' thoughts - they are to prepare you for having to actually look after a vulnerable little creature. Totally normal, congratulations!

BifsWif Wed 09-Sep-15 17:27:29

Congratulations Fluffy! flowers

Leanneosaurus Wed 09-Sep-15 20:27:48

I did a test today and I'm 2 weeks pregnant!!!! I'm so over the moon and still a little scared, well a lot scared, but I'm truly glad I'm pregnant smile

OctoberCupcake Wed 09-Sep-15 20:38:06

Congratulations!! flowers smile

Jw35 Wed 09-Sep-15 20:42:30

Congratulations! I have an 8 month old and ttc! I'm in the tww at the moment. Totally planning a baby but freaking out at the thought of being pregnant again! Hope you have a healthy pregnancy flowers

Dixiechick17 Wed 09-Sep-15 21:47:26

Congratulations, pleased you got your BFP smile

Dixiechick17 Wed 09-Sep-15 21:49:00

Also if the digi said your are 1-2 weeks pregnant, you are a actually four weeks, they count the two weeks before conception as part of the pregnancy and that falls in line with the growth smile

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Wed 09-Sep-15 22:59:54

Snap leanneosaurous - found out this morning smile petrified!!

Leanneosaurus Wed 09-Sep-15 23:07:33

Congratulations to the others in the thread who're becoming Mummies.

I'm pleased to say that I've calmed down a lot since yesterday and I feel really good about becoming a Mum smile

Leanneosaurus Wed 09-Sep-15 23:08:51

Oh and thanks for all the congratulations smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now