Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waiting for first scan - so nervous!

(17 Posts)
soontobemrslizzy Mon 07-Sep-15 16:41:26

Hi ladies

I'm in need of a little reassurance, I've been googling too muc, I've got my scan in a week and I'm so nervous it will be bad news. It's not helped by the fact that I've been feeling rubbish - felt so nauseous last night and today I've been so exhausted I've been lying on the sofa all day. I've had some twinges low in my abdomen and asked the midwife, who said it sounds like ligament/stretching and it's normal but it freaks me out. I can't wait to get the scan and keep praying that the baby is fine, but I can't stop worrying something awful will happen! Am I just nuts?

Gingernut81 Mon 07-Sep-15 16:55:32

No, definitely not nuts! I had two very early mc's prior to my current pregnancy and my OH and I were nervous wrecks before hand! My 12 week scan was also on my birthday, in the end it was the best present I could have had! It's easy to say don't worry but unfortunately controlling your brain is easier said than done at times! Good luck with your scan!

Gingernut81 Mon 07-Sep-15 16:56:28

Oh, and as for the twinges, I got those too - was paranoid about them too! grin

Diggum Mon 07-Sep-15 17:00:43

Twinges definitely sound like round ligament stretching. I got this and occasionally it was a bloody stab rather than a twinge.

You're not nuts but the balance of probability is that everything will be perfect. The fact you're feeling a bit shite is a good sign too!

Step away from Google and try to distract yourself!

Best of luck and congrats xx

soontobemrslizzy Mon 07-Sep-15 17:14:08

Thanks Diggum and Gingernut. The fact that the midwife said not to worry should reassure me but I'm a champion worrier. I'm glad to hear other people have the twinges too - I suppose it's good because it must mean the baby is growing? It doesn't help that my sister in law is also pregnant and due a day after us, but has already had her scan and told everyone, which would make it harder if something did go wrong. But I guess I should think positively, most people don't get bad news at their scan.

EdgarAllenPoe Tue 08-Sep-15 10:58:52

I genuinely wondered if they'd find anything at all in there when walking into my 12 week scan. This, despite three positive pregnancy tests, lots of crampy, stretchy pains down there and feeling rather nauseous for the previous few weeks. It was fine, baby was fine. Just had my 20 week scan and that was fine too.

Good luck to you!

5madthings Tue 08-Sep-15 11:02:28

It's normal to feel as you do and normal to worry.

I am 9 and a bit weeks preg with.no 6! Have my scan on 21st sept and am worried I will get there and there will be no baby etc. If anything I have worried more each time!

Feeling like crap is a good sign as well Btw and yes to all the stretching pains etc.

Good luck xxx

soontobemrslizzy Thu 10-Sep-15 16:18:22

The closer it gets, the more nervous I get. I barely slept last night, I was so worried. I've been nauseous in the afternoons and evenings for weeks, but it's been a bit less noticeable for a few days (although today it seems to be back) and I've been having some mild crampy (stretchy?) feelings in my abdomen too which keep freaking me out. I just cannot wait to get it over with, I feel like I can't relax until I know! It's slightly reassuring, EdgarAllanPoe, that you had similar symptoms - the thing that is nerve racking is that the symptoms of miscarriage are always listed as cramps but then cramping is also supposed to be normal. So I keep worrying that what I'm thinking of as mild are actually a bad sign. And I know lots of women said that their symptoms disappeared when they had mmcs, so I keep fretting that the decrease in nausea is a bad sign! Only a few more days, at least.

Diggum Thu 10-Sep-15 23:38:47

Don't forget though that as you approach 12 weeks morning sickness does tend to naturally ease off.

And crampy twinges really are just a part of it- everything starting to stretch. Plus if you're anything like me you'll get cramps when you're anxious too!

When's your scan? Just a few more days now right?

Try to come up with some things you can do in the meantime to keep your mind off it a bit.

Any bursting cupboards that need organising or wardrobes full of rarely worn clothes that could do with a cull? Those sorts of jobs are perfect for times like this; mind-numbing, exhausting and always procrastinated. You can be productive, distracted and too tired to think about things when you flop into bed!

Best of luck. You're nearly over the first milestone now!!

soontobemrslizzy Fri 11-Sep-15 09:41:37

Diggum, sadly, we're waiting to move into our new house and staying with my in laws so everyone is at work all day and I can't organise their things! But you're right, it's Monday, so very soon. I am quite anxious, so mayb I am making it worse! We are off to a wedding tomorrow so that will keep us busy at least!

QforCucumber Fri 11-Sep-15 09:59:35

my 12 week scan was on Monday - and I was the same as you, DP was getting all excited and I was terrified as I kept having agonising wind which I thought was baby pains and barely any sickness.

got there and baby was wriggling away chewing on its hand - was amazed. had mmc 2.5 years ago and so every twinge had me panicking, trust me - one you're there and you see it you seem to settle but not for long. Got my 20 week scan letter today and now I keep wondering what will be wrong there, the way I'm looking at it is it's the beginning of a lifetime of worry being a parent.

toohardtothinkofaname Fri 11-Sep-15 10:43:45

I had horrendous cramp pains around 6 weeks pregnant. They were so painful I was curled up on the bathroom floor being sick. Turns out everything was fine and now 24 weeks pregnant with healthy boy.

Unfortunately normal things in pregnancy tend to be painful, uncomfortable, smelly, sickly and a whole host of other things, including feeling perfectly normal! haha.

soontobemrslizzy Mon 14-Sep-15 07:59:05

Thanks ladies. Not long now - just a few hours. Qforcucumber, I'm really sorry about your loss but I'm sure your 20 week scan will be great. Over the weekend, I got hit with the worst nausea and acid reflux I've had yet which was a little reassuring (trying to look on the bright side, because it was miserable!). At least dh can come - he just started a new job and I thought I'd have to go alone. Toohard, I think you're right - it seems like anything weird, unpleasant or ordinary all count as totally normal. Makes it very hard to analyse your symptoms! Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me ladies - trying to keep it together and not panic too much!

soontobemrslizzy Mon 14-Sep-15 14:04:27

In 50 minutes now! Trying not to panic!

QforCucumber Mon 14-Sep-15 14:05:20

fingers crossed for you! let us know how it goes!

soontobemrslizzy Mon 14-Sep-15 22:55:41

All good, worried for nothing! Dh made a joke and the baby moved so here's delighted and says baby got his sense of humour! Thanks for the reassurance ladies!

QforCucumber Tue 15-Sep-15 08:47:44

Wonderful news - come and join us on the march bus if you wish. There's a good bunch of us and have all helped each other through a rough 1st trimester.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now