Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

help

(3 Posts)
juniorbabybump123 Sat 05-Sep-15 15:43:36

Im 25 weeks pregnant with bad back & hip ache. Stops me from walking sometimes any advice on what I can buy to help or anything yo help

Skiptonlass Sat 05-Sep-15 18:10:14

Nothing much helps smile

How bad is it and where is it located? I think most women get a bit of backache, but If it's the joints between your spine and pelvis/the joint at the front of your pelvis then it's possibly spd. You can have all sorts of pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy - the hormone relaxin is released and it can soften the ligaments in the pelvis. Those joints aren't really supposed to move much and so this can lead to instability, inflammation and pain.

Best thing to do is make an appointment with your midwife and talk to them. Ask for a referral to a physio with experience treating pregnant women.

do this before it gets any worse, as it can get really, really bad. I'm almost housebound because of it and unable to do anything more than the very minimum. They may give you a sacral belt (this does help a bit) and show you some excercises to do.

In the meantime,

- if it hurts, don't do it!
- rest as much as you can
- try to keep your knees together when turning in bed/getting out if the car etc.

Skiptonlass Sat 05-Sep-15 18:12:03

Oh and put a couple of pillows between your knees in bed - that does help a lot! You can also buy specific pregnancy pillows too.

Just be aware that none of this stuff cures it - it's helps a bit but the only solution is delivery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now