Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

car seat and car seat adapter

(13 Posts)
Junosmum Sat 05-Sep-15 13:37:34

You may able to tell that I'm on a bit of research/ buying spree.

We have a bugaboo cameleon- bought very cheap second hand (we're on a budget). It didn't come with the car seat adapter bits which allow a maxi-cosi or similar car seat to fit on to the pram frame. We are considering buying this but would then need to buy the right car seat to go with it.

I know babies aren't supposed to be in car seats for long periods of time and I'm struggling to see the point of having this travel system set up.

So - if you had this ability to fix the car seat on the pram, was it useful/ would you recomend it?

If you didn't do this, do you regret it?

BadgerFace Sat 05-Sep-15 20:34:52

We bought the car seat adapters for our Bugaboo Bee and used them about twice and the second time was only because I really wanted to use them having bought them! But we also live in London so probably only used the car on the weekends. I can see how if you're driving to the shops a lot they might be useful.

That said, I'd say if you're on a budget your money is better spent on a second hand sling like a Close Caboo which would be useful for settling them if they've woken up after a car journey and also useful for round the house, local walks, holidays etc.

Tfoot75 Sat 05-Sep-15 20:42:15

We used ours loads as babies inevitably fall asleep on car journeys (I often went out in the car specifically to get them to nap) so it's ideal to not disturb them once you arrive where you're going. Otherwise a much less peaceful trip to the shops! You can usually get common adaptors second hand

Junosmum Sat 05-Sep-15 21:00:35

I can't think of anywhere I would drive to and then get the carseat out (rather than full pram) as when I drive somewhere it is usually for a day out, such as trafford centre or to friends homes, where I'd just take the car seat in if they asleep.

If I go to town it would be on the tram.

It's not the cost of the adapter which I'm worried about it's the car seat which fits them which are stupid expensive, and I can't see what makes them safer than a car seat half the price.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 05-Sep-15 21:05:38

We use our car seat adapters a fair bit, mainly because we live fairly rurally and it's a drive to the nearest shops etc so if she falls asleep on the journey it's easier to just keep her in the car seat. If I didn't do trips like that I wouldn't bother. For day trips we use the pram carrycot.

WhatTheJeffHasGoneOnHere Sat 05-Sep-15 21:05:43

Yes we used ours a lot. If I was quickly nipping round the shops when DS was asleep it was easier to just clip the car seat on and go rather than wake him up. But yes they can't stay in their car seat for long.

Tfoot75 Sat 05-Sep-15 21:12:31

Sounds like you might not need it then, as if you're using public transport or on a full day out you'd take the full pram like you say.

If you don't need infant seat for travel system and don't use car that much you might be better off with a stage 0+/1 car seat as they last from newborn to age 4 but are fixed in car.

StarSpotter Sun 06-Sep-15 20:13:46

Didn't use them at all. Like others, just preferred the baby to be properly comfortable in carrycot bit of pram rather than car seat. Don't feel like I missed out!

MrsExcited Sat 12-Sep-15 21:49:25

If you don't need this function, why get an infant carrier at all?

You could look at the group 0-1 car seats then.

poocatcherchampion Sat 12-Sep-15 21:52:54

We didn't really use them as I much prefer infants to be lie flat.

But make sure you do your car seat research. I would only have considered maxi cosi or britax. Not a good risk to take

KatyN Sat 12-Sep-15 22:22:44

We didn't use them at all. They car seat didn't fit in my car and I just don't like them being carried like a shopping basket!
Instead we had a car seat that goes up to 4 years old. My 3.8 is still in it. If he fell asleep in the car seat I would just lift him out.

KatyN Sat 12-Sep-15 22:23:31

I did find people commented on it through. Especially be hospital staff when we left. They said how were we going to get the baby to the car. We replied carry him!!!

eurochick Sat 12-Sep-15 22:31:46

We found it useful, eg for the supermarket. She would inevitably fall asleep in the car so we wouldn't need to wake her for the shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now