Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First time pregnant and baby Doppler train sounds?

(17 Posts)
jessicaf23 Fri 04-Sep-15 19:47:51

I'm 7 weeks 6 days pregnant with my first baby I downloaded an app on my iPhone to see if I could hear my baby's heartbeat it took me a while but I finally got it and I'm starting to worry it instantly sounded like a train yet I'm at home in a quiet room is this normal? It didn't show the heart rate but it was sounded very strong like a train I sent it to a friend who's got children and she said it sounded normal but I'm panicking

Is this normal?

DriverSurpriseMe Fri 04-Sep-15 19:51:25

I would be very dubious about those apps. At seven weeks a midwife would struggle to find a heartbeat with a proper doppler. It's quite likely you found your own heartbeat.

And even if it was the baby's heartbeat you found, why are you worried about it sounding like a train?

TenForward82 Fri 04-Sep-15 19:53:15

I understand wanting reassurance but I wouldn't trust a) an app or b) trying to find the heartbeat this early.

No point panicking.

Sweetpea80 Fri 04-Sep-15 19:56:40

Try not too worry too much. Like others said even a midwife wouldn't try to find a heartbeat until about 16 weeks with a proper doopler.
I personally wouldn't trust an app.
It's a bit of a wait but it's worth it

Flisspaps Fri 04-Sep-15 20:00:23

Delete the app.

MWs in my area won't even attempt to find a heartbeat until 20+ weeks with a Doppler. You'd probably struggle to see much on a scan at 7w unless it was internal so I'd doubt it's a fetal heartbeat you're hearing.

A fetal heartbeat IS faster than an adult heartbeat though, like a train or galloping horse.

Maxbenji Fri 04-Sep-15 20:11:35

I didn't hear the baby's until the midwife appt, I wouldn't trust apps. However when my OH heard he he said it was exactly like a train...

Brummiegirl15 Fri 04-Sep-15 20:25:35

Delete the app. A midwife wouldn't even try and listen until 16- 20 wks and they are trained and use the correct equipment.

An iPhone app is not correct equipment and you are only going to stress yourself out

KittyandTeal Fri 04-Sep-15 20:32:40

That's not your baby's heartbeat your hearing. It's either yours or, if it's a dodgy app, just a recording.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to hear a 7 week heartbeat externally. If you went for an ultrasound it's highly likely they'd have to do an internal to get an image, that's how weeny your baby is.

Any Doppler is a really bad idea at any gestation unless you've been given some training into finding and differentiating your baby's heartbeat from your own. Even further on finding a heartbeat doesn't mean the baby is not in distress.

I actually think dopplers are really dangerous unless used by a professional. There is every chance you could have reduced movement, find a heartbeat and not have it checked out even though the babyis in distress.

Please delete the app and don't buy a Doppler.

mountainofdreams Fri 04-Sep-15 20:50:28

I purchased an Angelsounds doppler and was able to find the heartbeat at 16 weeks. It sounds like galloping horses. Be careful though as the pulsation of the cord is audible as is your own heartbeat so you might confuse yourself if you don't know the difference.

mummyneedinganswers Fri 04-Sep-15 21:08:54

Doppler's aren't meant to be used until third trimester and u might have been hearing your own heartbeat and not babies heartbeat as baby is size if a pea right now. I'm 27 weeks and the midwife struggle to get my babies heartbeat with ctg machine sometimes so I would be cautious as they don't always give reassurance only professionals would safely find heartbeat and know that it's normal x

Topsy34 Fri 04-Sep-15 21:10:15

I would agree, delete the app, i would say its virtually, if not, impossible to hear a hb at 7 weeks externally.

A mw wont try til at least 16 weeks and even then says, dont panic if we dont find it.

DS said the baby sounds like the fast train to London....

MissTwister Fri 04-Sep-15 21:14:00

I believe you can't externally hear a heartbeat at 7 weeks you can only see it on an ultrasound.

WorzelsCornyBrows Fri 04-Sep-15 21:16:08

Those apps are a scam. If a midwife won't try to find a heartbeat with a real Doppler until after 16 weeks, did you really think an app on your phone would work? confused

Hairballs Fri 04-Sep-15 22:12:04

Am I reading this right? There is an app which supposedly allows a 7 week fetal heartbeat to be heard externally? Jesus wept. What next?

Dopplers shouldn't be available to buy to anyone but the medical profession, let alone a bloody app.

pinkmanbitch Sat 05-Sep-15 13:42:40

Delete the app OP. I'm horrified they're even allowed. so irresponsible. even IF the app picked up the baby's hb, even IF you had been trained on what to look for, it's an APP. they give people false reassurance later on- baby not moved but my app shows it's ok- when in fact, it's not

CarShare Sun 06-Sep-15 09:12:05

I have a Doppler that I've used once weekly from about 9 weeks (I'm now 18 weeks). I checked with my consultant why different sounds are heard and she explained that varying the position means you listen to different chambers of the heart so sometimes you hear fast swooshing, sometimes a train sound or trainers in a washing machine.
I don't use it diagnostically- I just feel extra close to my baby for a few mins once a week. The consultant reminded me of the importance of reporting changes in movement but said she felt home dopplers were fine if used correctly (I'm a medical professional myself although not a sonographer).
I agree with others that this app can't be a good thing. The Doppler gives a heart rate reading so you know it's the baby and not your own pulse/placental pulse and seven weeks does sound a bit too early to pick the fetal HB up. I also agree that dopplers aren't for everyone and shouldn't be used diagnostically if the user is not appropriately trained. And you definitely should stay away if you're especially anxious.

lilyb84 Sun 06-Sep-15 10:11:00

An app on an iPhone is not a Doppler. It just uses the (feeble) mic on your phone to amplify and record sounds that it picks up. I have a similar app - downloaded purely for fun and which states it's highly unlikely to pick anything up until after 30 weeks (if at all) - which only picks up my hb or my cat's hb very faintly. There's pretty much zero chance such an app will pick up the hb of a pea - sized embryo.

Delete it and stop worrying! You'll hear it in time at your various appointments where professional sonographers and midwives will be able to correctly find and interpret it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now