Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Harmony test

(5 Posts)
Em2630 Fri 04-Sep-15 09:10:50

Hello ladies,
I am very new to this site but just needed some positive advice.

I am 24 and this is my first pregnancy and had been TTC for ages.

I went for my 12 week scan last week and we opted out of having the Downs syndrome screening as I just wanted to enjoy my pregnancy and my other half is such a worrier.

Well while we were having the scan everything looked amazing, were were just so happy. Then I noticed the midwife measuring the nuchal fold but she kept measuring it and measuring it. She was a trainee so had someone else in there, they came other to look at the screen then I asked what was wrong. She said the the nuchal fold is messaging at 4.0mm and 3.5mm is the cut off point. She went through what this all meant and said we should do the Downs screening so we said yes to get us some peace of mind.
We spoke to a different midwife who went into more detail but also said the nuchal fold can be larger due to baby bending it's head back etc and my baby wouldn't stop moving. I did get upset but then I went on the fact baby wouldn't stay still. I carried on as normal and showed everyone the Photos being so excited. They did say that we might get a high reading due to the nuchal fold but when the rang me the other day (which they said they would do regardless of the result) I wasn't expecting to get 1:5 I was expecting 1:100 or something, which I would be more happier with. I broke down, it was horrible. The midwife offered me the a CVS which I said no to.

She called me back after speaking to someone and mentioned the Harmony test which I said yes to. We did this yesterday along with another scan with a different midwife, he said baby looked really healthy and developing well. He didn't measure the nuchal fold and I asked why, he said if he measures it, it most properly be different and they need to go on the results on the other scan.

We did the blood work and they said we have to wait 7 to 14 days as they have to send it off to the USA.

I don't know what to do with myself for the next two weeks. I want it to go quickly but I am so scared of the results.

Has anyone else had the same odds as me and had the Harmony test or other tests and got a good out come.

Thank you ladies xxx

Junosmum Fri 04-Sep-15 09:14:20

1 in 5 is an 80% chance your baby is totally fine. Hopefully the harmony test will get you the result you want. In the UK it's not classed as a diagnostic test but in Australia it is so it's pretty accurate!

Scotinoz Fri 04-Sep-15 10:09:55

Harmony test is offered as standard through the private system here in Australia. I didn't have it, but a couple of friends did in lieu of the more traditional testing. My OB was very positive about and said its accuracy was very good.

Good luck

Brummiegirl15 Fri 04-Sep-15 13:54:18

Harmony test is very accurate but if it comes back with results for Down syndrome you would still need cvs or amniocentesis for an official "result".

Of course you don't need to have any tests. You can refuse all testing if it wouldn't affect the outcome

flowers

RooibosTeaAgain Fri 04-Sep-15 16:55:00

Great you got offer of harmony on NHS, it is quite new and waiting for results can be stressful. There is always the option of a cvs or an amnio later on if you feel the need for a diagnostic test as well - as the harmony does not always work if not enough DNA leaked into the blood ( mine did not work, so had to have it done second time, thankfully free the second time apart from travel costs). My NT was under 2, it was the blood tests that caused a problem for us.
Hope you have good support at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now