Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Falling pregnant after a conization?

(6 Posts)
Littlefrenchmummy Mon 31-Aug-15 15:15:13

Hello !

My best friend had to have a conization of part of her uterus about 2 years ago after they found pre cancerous cells at one of her smear tests.
Procedure went well and she is now all fine (aside from still some unexplained pain during sex- not sure if thats relevant but just giving all the info!)

She now has decided to try for a baby but Doctors are very vague on how the pregnancy might go after her conization. After reading up on the internet I think the main concern is premature labour.

Anyway I want to be the best support I can for her but I feel so clueless about the whole thing!

So my question is, have any women out there had that procedure and went on to get pregnant? Could you share your experience with me please?

Thank you very much ! X

Junosmum Mon 31-Aug-15 15:35:37

Yup. Cone biopsy (which is the same thing but because I had a larger area of precancerous cells I had to have follow up treatment) followed by LLETZ. Now 20 weeks pregnant. Drs, midwives and my obstetrician are not concerned in the least - I'm consultant led because I have other health concerns but nothing related to the cervical treatment. Don't let her google - it's a dark place!

SarinaJ Mon 31-Aug-15 17:54:39

I had an extra ultrasound with the consultant (who wasn't that concerned in the first place!!!) to make sure that my cervix was the right length and shape - this was maybe around 14 weeks. All was fine so he said I was fine to go back to midwife led care. All good, no problems.

docmcstuffins1 Mon 31-Aug-15 18:38:27

I had a LLETZ procedure (similar to conization). Have to have an appt with a consultant after my 12 week scan (tomorrow, eeek!) to check my cervical length. If that's ok then there's no worries. I think the only concern is that if they had to take a lot of the cervix and it is shortened as a result, there is an increased risk of pre-term labour, but they'd monitor for it and can do something about it if it's a problem (cervical stitch etc.)

Brummiegirl15 Mon 31-Aug-15 19:29:42

I've had 2 of these and was terrified about pregnancy - in fact I've had 3 mcs and always worried.

I'm now 18 wks and had 2 cervix scans already. My cervix has stayed at 4cm for both scans and even described as "superb" by the consultant grin

Got one more scan to make sure it's behaving itself. But don't assume it means bad news if your friend has had this procedure. Absolutely not and I've had it twice!!!

Littlefrenchmummy Mon 31-Aug-15 21:46:11

Oh wow thank you all so so much for sharing your stories! They all seem positive too which is great (Aside from your MC Brummie, how sad I am very sorry. I had 3 MC too, its just awful, amazing you are 18 weeks with a superb cervix !)

Juno I think she had what you had, a larger area and a cone biopsy- she's in France so Im translating the medical terms- I will not let her google I promise.

Congratulations to all of you on your pregnancies, Im so pleased for you all!

Thank you for sharing xxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now