Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Permanent headaches. Is this normal?

(10 Posts)
zippyswife Sun 30-Aug-15 18:56:48

Am 17 weeks pregnant with dc3. Since week 12 when my exhaustion and nausea stopped I've been given the gift of permanent headaches (often accompanied by sickness). They don't let up and last about a week. I get a reprieve for about a day then they crank up again. I had migraines in previous pregmancies but it wasn't a constant thing. Any ideas what's causing it or how I ca shake it?

Konserve Sun 30-Aug-15 18:57:55

not normal
go see gp, it can be a sign of high blood pressure

zippyswife Sun 30-Aug-15 19:02:31

Thanks. I tend to have really low blood pressure in pregnancy (it was checked again recently as I've been a bit dizzy and faint too). But yes I might have to take a trip to the gp.

mummyneedinganswers Sun 30-Aug-15 19:03:06

Dehydration drink loads !!! I get them too all the time and being dehydrated makes it worse. Certain smells also trigger mine. Always had migraines whole way through periods so no surprise I have them in pregnancy. Hormonal changes can cause the headaches. And if you like me I projectile vomit with the migraines. My advice is don't try to sleep through the day to get rid of it as you can end up waking up worse.

Also keep drinking.
Avoid sugary food
Try a warm bath especially up around neck and base of head.Also try cold flannel

Regular paracetamol
Speak to gp get blood sugars check and blood pressure it it doesn't ease up xx

Skiptonlass Sun 30-Aug-15 19:27:18

No, it's not normal, and it needs to be checked out. One of those things that is probably fine but always needs to be checked properly.

Go see your GP and be prepared to describe the headache - what kind of pain (throbbing, stabbing etc) and where it is (from your jaw/eyes, which side etc.)

SoontobeMommyof2 Sun 30-Aug-15 20:09:07

I'm 32 weeks now and I've been having these since the beginning. Was told it is pregnancy related and try cold or warm compress on forehead. I use 4head sticks and keep hydrated. You mentioned it to the midwife?

SweepTheHalls Sun 30-Aug-15 20:10:41

I had this, it was dehydration. It appears I need much more water in pregnancy than normal.

RockerMummy184 Sun 30-Aug-15 20:14:14

I had this for about 3 months, non-stop. I was off work for weeks (working at a computer all day made it so much worse) It was excruciating and I kept throwing up. Turns out I had a chronic sinus infection. 1 course of antibiotics and some aqueous nasal spray later and it was fine.
The first 3 GPs I saw kept fobbing me off with it being 'hormonal'. I didn't think it could be since it was relentless so kept pushing till someone finally checked me over properly.

RockerMummy184 Sun 30-Aug-15 20:15:26

Oh and go get your eyes checked! I also needed a different prescription for my glasses.

Brummiegirl15 Sun 30-Aug-15 20:51:45

I'm 18 weeks and have been lying down most of day due to horrendous headache. I've had them frequently and it's very common in pregnancy due to dehydration.

But mention to mw and drink lots!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now