Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

24 weeks bump goes rock hard and tight is it BH?

(6 Posts)
Frillsandspillsx2 Fri 28-Aug-15 14:28:53

Hi, I'm 24 weeks today and I've been lying down a lot since I've been pretty lazy today.

I've noticed my bump in the past maybe half hour or so keeps going hard and tight but in no way painful or uncomfortable, and I probably wouldn't notice if I didn't have my hands resting on my belly. It's not in any pattern just random really but if I move my legs or something it seems to stop.

I've had what I thought was braxton hicks before but usually when I'm in the bath and I can feel it happening without my hands being on my tummy (this was at about 19 weeks). I didn't think to mention it because at my 20 week scan everything was fine so it must be harmless.

Just wondering if it does sound like braxton hicks or maybe just a spasm of some sort as I can't really feel it happening all the time unless of course I'm touching my belly.

I don't feel too concerned about it I just wondered what it was.

TIA

Cheshirehello79 Fri 28-Aug-15 15:09:52

Hi frills I've had the same thing around 23 weeks and when I went to my 25 week mw appointment I raised it and mw said nothing to worry about most probably is the way how baby is positioned and when you are resting it becomes more obvious but could be something that's happening quite a bit during the day especially as the baby grows. As long as you're not in pain I wouldn't worry much but do raise it on your next mw appointment :-)

Frillsandspillsx2 Fri 28-Aug-15 15:28:19

Thank you cheshire it's reassuring knowing it's happening to someone else too!
Although I wasn't concerned as I wasn't in pain it did freak me out a little, I'm trying not to be too dramatic!

LilacRain Fri 28-Aug-15 18:44:35

Sounds like braxton-hicks, I started getting them from 20weeks. They were painless tightenings until about 30weeks, when they got more intense, now they take my breath away!

I wouldn't worry if they're painless and mild and you're having less than 4 an hour. Sometimes the baby wriggling can set them off, or being tired/dehydrated/doing too much exercise.

Junosmum Fri 28-Aug-15 18:54:24

I've been having this for a week or two, figure it's my body's way of saying slow down. I'm doing lots of dit and it's knackering. If I take it easy it doesn't happen.

Frillsandspillsx2 Fri 28-Aug-15 20:18:37

Ah that makes a lot of sense, yesterday I decided to do a lot of walking, and I naturally walk quite fast so rather than a nice stroll it's more of a power walk / slow jog (i can't help it) then when I came home my hips were awfully achey then today I had the tightenings so perhaps I should stop walking so much and maybe at a more manageable pace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now