Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone under Consultant Care?

(14 Posts)
FrancoisLaPrune Mon 17-Aug-15 16:45:00

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me how it works with regard to consultant led care and when you would have your first appointment with a consultant?

I have had my booking in appointment with the midwife and I have had a letter confirming the date for my dating scan but haven't heard anything about when I will see the consultant.

I have been advised by the midwife that I would be under consultant care as my last pregnancy ended at 22 weeks when I lost my amniotic fluid for no explainable reason. I was also told by the consultant at the time that in the event that I become pregnant again, he would oversee the process and would see me for additional appointments and scans.

I have all of the usual pregnancy panics and worries that the majority of us experience but am feeling even more anxious because of the loss of my son last time. I guess I am feeling a little bit lost really and uncertain as to how the whole consultant care thing works.

Can anyone fill me in?

thank you

BadgerFace Mon 17-Aug-15 17:06:59

I am consultant led due to EMCS last pregnancy. I was "rated" (not sure what the right term is!) as consultant led at my booking in appointment (10 weeks). I was given the date for my first consultant's appointment at my dating scan appointment (at 12 +5).

My consultant appointment is not until around 30 weeks but I imagine given your history you will be given a much earlier appointment.

Good luck. I know it is an anxious time.

Duckstar Mon 17-Aug-15 17:21:04

I'm under consultant care and 1st appointment is 20 weeks as my issue is due to risk of premmie/delivery. My friend who had repeated miscarriages was seen at 13 weeks. Both informed by letter.

Do call your midwife and ask when you are likely to see the consultant. They will also chase for you (mine said if I hadn't heard by 16 week appointment she would chase). You are understandable anxious and need some reassurance and midwife should provide this.

FrancoisLaPrune Mon 17-Aug-15 17:30:09

Thank you both - my dating scan is next week so I will call the midwife after that if I've still not heard anything.

I was told that I would have a scan at 16 weeks as well and potentially have weekly injections from then until 24 weeks (not entirely sure what the injections are - my head was a blur when he told me that after my last pregnancy)

Duckstar Mon 17-Aug-15 17:36:14

Francois I've been told I'll have steroid injections from 24 weeks because of my risk of having a premmie. Idea is to develop baby's lungs to reduce/prevent breathing problems.

Best of luck with the scan and the pregnancy.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 17-Aug-15 17:39:05

I had a consultant appt today for endocrine issues. I am 12+5. They dont want to see me again until 20 weeks.

Brummiegirl15 Mon 17-Aug-15 18:57:01

I'm under consultant care as suffered from recurrent miscarriage plus had previous treatment on cervix.

My letter came through post and I saw the consultant at 14 weeks.

Doublebubblebubble Mon 17-Aug-15 18:59:24

I'm under consultant care due to a stillbirth of twins in 2012. (I am currently on my 5th pregnancy 33 weeks - 1st, miscarriage - 2nd, dd now 5 - 3rd, stillbirth of twins - 4th MMc - 5th, current pregnancy ). I was advised that should I become pregnant following the twins' birth that I should call a special number and they would book me in for an early scan (viability/to make sure that there wasn't more than one/peace of mind) and that everything...scans and appointments would be organised from then onwards. She and her team have been very good at organising extra scans and appointments for me because I am so anxious fucking terrified and she will be there for the birth (csec or otherwise/time permitting, she has a family of her own after all) Having said that I have a very good relationship with her - she is lovely - we send each other Xmas cards lol - and I have known her for over 10 years x consultant care I have found is definitely more hands on and reassuring x

Junosmum Mon 17-Aug-15 19:35:27

I'm consultant led for heart condition and underactive thyroid and had my first appointment at 14 weeks.

duckbilled Mon 17-Aug-15 19:56:29

I am consultant led. I had a quick appointment after the dating scan and then after twenty weeks, and since then every two to four weeks. I also see my community midwife at the normal times.

hotcrossbun83 Mon 17-Aug-15 20:07:59

I have to book my own appointments so def worth calling and finding out. Mw told me at booking in that my 16 week app should be consultant, I called hospital and booked it.

applecore0317 Mon 17-Aug-15 20:55:03

I got a letter at around fifteen weeks booking me for a consultant appointment at 24 weeks. Ended up with my first appointment at 21 weeks due to some complications, weekly then fortnightly internal scans, then two steroid injections at 24 weeks as was also at risk of a preemie, I carried till 40+5 in the end. Wishing you a good pregnancy this time round OP flowers

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Mon 17-Aug-15 21:57:50

I'm red pathway/consultant led because of an endocrine problem - I saw the obstetrics consultant at my 13 week scan - they are leaving me to the care of the endocrinology consultant who sees me every 4 weeks while I'm pregnant and I won't see the obstetric consultant again until 34 weeks when I'll see them weekly for growth scans. I'm hoping to switch to midwife led care for the actual birth though.

FrancoisLaPrune Tue 18-Aug-15 12:20:07

Thank you all so much for your replies. I will get next week's scan out of the way then speak to my midwife if I've not heard anything from the consultant.

The injections could be steroids that would make sense.

So sorry to hear of your losses doublebubblebubble

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now