Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

32+2 Maturnity Bag Advice

(14 Posts)
Fatty12 Fri 14-Aug-15 15:17:47

Hii ladies..I'm currently 32+2 and I think I'm pretty much sorted with my maturnity bag. This is what I'v got so far, if there's anything I'v missed let me know please smile

Baby stuff:
Blanket
Towel
3 vests
3 sleepsuits/all-in-ones
Jumper
Cotton wool
Bibs
2/3 outfits
Nappies/wipes/nappy bags

My own stuff:
PJs
Nightie
Maturnity pads
Breast pads
Underwear
Comfy slippers
Flip-flops - for shower
Mini toiletries
Nipple cream
Towel
Tissues
Clean clothes to wear home

Also can I ask what size nursing bra i should get - I'v heard from people to get a bigger size but I'm not sure how big.. I'm currently a 34C - any advice on this please?

And finally I'v got a maturnity bag that just about fits my own stuff so for now I'v put all the baby stuff in a large boots plastic carrier bag. I'm not sure what the norm is, do you take 2 maturnity bags? How do you fit everything together. I don't want to be going in to hospital with loads of bags like I'm about to go on holiday or something. Wouldn't it be awkward.. feel really conscious. What did you do??

cathpip Fri 14-Aug-15 15:25:16

I take two bags in one for me one for baby, this is no4 for me I have packed;
For baby;
Nappies and wipes
3vests and baby gros
1 cardi and blanket
3 muslins and a going home outfit.
For me;
Big knickers and mat pads
Towel and shower stuff
2sets of pjs
1 set of clothes and flip flops
2 nursing bras in normal size (milk takes about 2/3 days to come in with me)
Breast pads and a good book.
My dh can always nip to Sainsbury if I have run out of important things like chocolate and magazines smile

Artandco Fri 14-Aug-15 15:26:51

I would take the baby outfits out. The sleep suits are outfits for a newborn so just the 3 vests and 3 sleep suits should be fine.

Will the baby stuff not all fit in with your stuff? Can you take a little less of your stuff? It's just easier in one bag as remember when you leave you will have baby in car seat to carry also

Towel - can you get a smaller/ thinner one? Like a hamman towel to save space?

Fatty12 Fri 14-Aug-15 15:33:22

Thanks for replying smile

cathpip I expect DH to bring me those things too - only thing I trust him to do right on that day! Lol

Artandco
Yeah, I guess the one outfit to bring baby home in will be enough. I'm just thinking if I have to stay longer - but I guess if that happened DH could bring anything else required.

Hmm, it's stuff like baby nappies that are taking more space - shall I take them out of packing and take less with me. How much would be a reasonable amount to take do you reckon?

Impatientwino Fri 14-Aug-15 15:39:03

I found it easier having one bag for baby and one bag for me. Much easier to find anything instead of going through one big bag. I took in the changing bag I'd bought as the babies bag.

I put babies vest, sleep suit and hat for immediately after birth inside a plastic ziplock bag inside the changing bag so DH could find it as soon as it was needed without sifting through loads of stuff as he's crap at finding things at the best of times

Impatientwino Fri 14-Aug-15 15:41:48

I also took a really thin dressing gown with me as I would have felt quite self conscious wandering to the toilet in just a nightie etc with a massive pad and bleeding a lot. I know no one really cares but it made me feel a bit more comfortable.

Impatientwino Fri 14-Aug-15 15:43:14

Oh, I also left a carrier bag in the boot of the car with a few spare vests and sleep suits and a few more nappies plus an outfit for me incase of total poonami or something so that we didn't have to take it into the hospital but it was only in the car park if needed.

Artandco Fri 14-Aug-15 15:45:34

I would allow 10 nappies for 2 days. If you find out on day 2 you need to stay in longer your can get Dh to bring more in, as well as more clothing for both of you.

hotcrossbun83 Fri 14-Aug-15 15:58:55

I'd include a baby hat, I know it's summer but you don't know what the transfer to ward is like (ours was down a huge, semi open air corridor between buildings) and it could be the middle of the night.

I used the nappy bag for all baby things, managed to fit it all in with spare nappies in the car.

My top tip is set of plastic see through zip cases - big one for pads and breast pads, middle for toiletries, small one for phone, money, headphones etc. Helps to keep it all organised if you're in for a few days.

lilac3033 Fri 14-Aug-15 23:21:03

Bendy straws for labour! Much easier to drink with when exhausted. One thing I was desperate for post labour was a nail brush. Not something I normally use but my nails got really grubby during the birth... I didn't really feel clean until that was sorted!

Regarding the nursing bra, get fitted at around 38 weeks if possible. That's what bravissimo told me!!

Watto1 Mon 17-Aug-15 12:11:43

Hair bobble. My hair drove me nuts in labour and I didn't have a bobble. A midwife eventually found me an elastic band!

Trickytricky Mon 17-Aug-15 12:24:15

I'm 32 weeks tmrw and not even thought about my maternity bag yet. I need to start thinking about it! I haven't bought any baby clothes yet either...

Marking my place as some good tips here!

BeautifulBatman Mon 17-Aug-15 12:39:08

Unless they're water wipes, get rid - only water and cotton wool for a newborns bottom.

CarrotPuff Mon 17-Aug-15 13:22:02

You don't need a towel for the baby.
You need some hats.
Don't need outfits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now