Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My legs are driving me mad!!

(11 Posts)
chelle792 Wed 05-Aug-15 07:29:41

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and for the past week or so, when I go to bed I have this urge to move my legs. They are only comfortable when moving. This past three nights they've even been waking me up!

I've resorted to sleeping tossing and turning in the spare room and on top of the pregnancy tiredness I'm now sleep deprived tired too.

Sorry for my moan! Just interested to see if anyone else is suffering too...

SewingAndCakes Wed 05-Aug-15 07:32:10

It's restless legs syndrome and I had it. Really annoying and uncomfortable. I think a warm bath used to help flowers

Hughpughbarneymagrew Wed 05-Aug-15 08:28:32

I have had RSL since childhood and it's definitely worse in pregnancy. There is no way to cure it entirely in my experience but different remedies work to help alleviate the symptoms for different people so Google remedies and then experiment to see what helps you.
I find that stretches are the best solution for me, but there are many other things to try!

Hughpughbarneymagrew Wed 05-Aug-15 08:33:37

Ooops RLS not RSL!

Allstoppedup Wed 05-Aug-15 08:38:18

It's so horrible. I get it all through pregnancy too.

I've found that tensing my legs as tight as they will go and holding it like that helps stretch out the muscles. I also use Evian condensed spray water on them which helps cool them down. It seems less noticeable if I'm cooler.

If they both fail I get up and walk around for a little while, go up and down the stairs and then try and sleep again.

Mine is related to low iron levels so it might be worth getting yours checked/taking some spatone supplements. I've also heard that banana helps but I HATE banana so haven't tried it myself.

Hope you feel better soon.

ShootTheMoon Wed 05-Aug-15 08:42:06

I agree with allstopped that restless legs in pregnancy can be linked with low iron levels - you could ask for a blood test and/or start taking an iron supplement.

It's also (possibly) linked with magnesium deficiency, so I use a mag spray which I massage into my legs, which also helps with calf cramps.

WeePoppy Wed 05-Aug-15 10:19:41

Restless Legs Syndrome - I have had it for years (linked to ME and fibromyalgia) but it is definitely worse during pregnancy.

emmjanex Wed 05-Aug-15 11:27:36

I have still got RLS and I'm now 30 weeks!!! I've found warm baths before bed helps & I also bought magnesium spray and it's really helped! Worth looking into!xx

chelle792 Wed 05-Aug-15 12:22:48

Thanks ladies. Saw the midwife today, she took blood and recommended an iron supplement. I'll look into the magnesium spray and def eat some bananas if I can.

Drives me crazy!

zippyswife Wed 05-Aug-15 12:41:46

I had this in my previous 2 pregmancies and it's beginning in this one too. I was told that tonic water helps.

chelle792 Fri 07-Aug-15 12:42:13

Last night I was only woken up twice by my legs! I've started taking iron supplements (ones especially for pregnancy), daily banana smoothies and magnesium oil. Currently loving the fact that OH is dutifully rubbing the oil into the backs of my legs each night before bed. I think he will try anything to get a decent nights sleep because my legs keep waking him!!
Anyway, some improvement so I'm happier! Thankyou for all of the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now