Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

19 weeks and 3 days - no movement at all yet

(23 Posts)
Aaagghmen Tue 04-Aug-15 15:19:28

Not sure whether I should be panicking or not. I'm 19 weeks and 3 days pregnant with dc1 and have felt absolutely no movement at all yet. Trying not to panic, everyone is different etc. but everything I read is all about feeling movement and forums on here are full of people who have been feeling movement for ages. Not helped by dh who constantly asks me if I've felt any movement yet and now isn't speaking to me because I've told him (for the millionth time) that I will tell him as soon as I feel anything and please not to keep asking me.
So .... All you experienced ladies out there, do I need to panic or be patient?

Whatabout Tue 04-Aug-15 15:24:26

Don't panic at all, it's completely normal. They tell you to start tracking movement at about 26-28 weeks so a fair way off yet. Baby is still tiny so lots of space to be moving in without yo feeling.

HedgehogAtHome Tue 04-Aug-15 15:25:41

I didn't feel anything with my first until well past 20 weeks. I had my 20 week scan and the sonographer was saying 'can you really not feel that?!'.

Reckon it was about 24-25 weeks when I felt him. Much earlier with second baby. It depends on so much stuff, how your placenta is lying, where baby is lying, stomach muscles.

Obviously if you're worried there's nothing wrong with speaking to your midwife.

Tell husband to stop being a child with the silent treatment, you've got one on the way and do not need an impersonator. Just explain that every time he asks he's making you more worried.

BumbleBee0 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:26:36

I wouldn't panic yet as I think it's normal not to feel movement until 24 wks with your first.
I was 20wks with DS when I first felt movements but I think I felt 'gas' and 'bubbles' a week or so before but wasn't sure whether it was baby or just wind.
Do you have your 20wk scan soon? If not, maybe you could ask your mw about it and she may offer to listen on the Doppler to put your mind at ease.

Saltedcaramel2014 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:26:47

Don't worry. Ask your midwife about it when you next see her. I couldn't feel anything at this stage as my placenta was at the front - it was creating a sort of cushion (if you see what I mean).

Aaagghmen Tue 04-Aug-15 15:27:08

Thank you, rationally I know that but its hard to remember it when being asked if I've felt any movement 10 times a day

NotSoFitFlop Tue 04-Aug-15 15:28:38

Another one here, didn't feel it till about 21-22 weeks, don't worry they will make up for it!

Saltedcaramel2014 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:29:39

I remember the cashier in Budgens saying - you STILL can't feel anything? And wanting to burst into tears. I don't know what I would've done if DH had been on the case too! Try and help him understand how it contributes to anxiety, I guess?

LoopiusMaximus Tue 04-Aug-15 15:30:49

I don't think there's anything to worry about, With my first, I felt babies first movements at 20 weeks (just before the anomaly scan). For me personally the first movements were very easy to miss and were like little delicate flutters and they would have been very hard to notice when walking around and doing day to day things. They were more noticeable although still very delicate when I led down with a cold drink and something sweet. I don't remember them becoming obvious until 30 weeks. Also you may have had a few flutters without realising which I think happened to me looking back.

When it does happen it's the best feeling in the world. Relax and enjoy x

Aaagghmen Tue 04-Aug-15 15:31:02

Thanks everyone, I'll get down off the panic station and return to business as usual

bestguess23 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:31:03

Completely normal, I have a retroverted uterus and my MW mentioned that I will probably feel movement later than most, in her experience. The usual range is 16-23 weeks for first movement according to the baby book I am currently holding!

bonzo77 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:36:34

Also depends on where the placenta is. DC1 anterior placenta: started feeling movement around 23 weeks. DC3 (and thus far more aware of the sensations) and posterior placenta: felt movement around 14 weeks.

shmuf Tue 04-Aug-15 16:45:15

Dc3 here and only started feeling around 21weeks!

Surprisedbunny Tue 04-Aug-15 17:20:20

I'm about the same as you (19 weeks ish, not very good at keeping count) and have been feeling faint movements from the alien for a couple of weeks or so, but only when lying down at night on my back. It's my first and definitely was very much like wind bubbles at first, so I wasn't 100% sure, and even now I don't feel it very strongly - and only when lying down still. It's very weird!! I don't have much of a bump and I'm reasonably slim (size 10/12) don't know if that makes a difference?

Evianbaby15 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:59:38

Baby is still very small at this stage - feet are about as big as a thumbnail so kicks could easily be missed or mistaken for wind etc
I'm 19weeks and can only feel kicks when I'm laying still and I can't feel them if I touch my belly I can just feel from inside.Also only tend to feel anything in the evening.
Try eating/drinking something sugary and maybe laying on your back or side and giving your belly a massage to encourage baby to move about.

Runningupthathill82 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:07:12

Totally normal! I didn't feel anything til well after the 20-week scan with DC1. I'm slim and healthy and all the rest of it, too.

This time round I'm feeling the baby far earlier, but only because I know what to look for IYSWIM.

Lunastarfish Tue 04-Aug-15 22:12:30

I felt the first movement at 18 weeks but I didn't feel any strong movements until 22/23 weeks nor regular movements until 26 ish weeks.

At my 20 week scan my DD was jumping all over the place but I couldn't feel her, just see her going all round the place

azulpear Wed 05-Aug-15 08:35:53

Just to add to the people saying this is totally normal - I am 23 weeks and didn't feel a thing until 2 weeks ago and it's mainly like little bubbles, or gentle little pokes. Even now I feel pulsing in my stomach (my own heartbeat) more than I feel any foetal movement, but when I had my 20 week scan it was moving constantly and doing backflips and I felt nothing. Perhaps the feeling is insulated by my anterior placenta, and the smidgen (ahem!) of fat across my belly.

Topsy34 Wed 05-Aug-15 08:47:36

I on,y started feeling movement at 19-20 weeks this time round, when i went for the scan i said to the sonographer that i hadnt felt kicks and was really anxious, she soon got scanning and turns out i have an anterior placenta, which will cushion kicks, hence me not feeling much.

With ds my placenta was posterior ad felt some good old boots in the belly by 19 weeks!

newbian Wed 05-Aug-15 08:56:28

I didn't feel anything until just after the anomaly scan. The doctor had said I should only be concerned if I hadn't felt movement by 24 weeks but that even then it's too early to be tracking movements.

Honestly I don't believe people who say they are feeling movement at 12 weeks etc. The baby is so small at that stage it is nearly impossible that they could effect any movement that would be felt. So do not compare yourselves to them.

Rosieliveson Wed 05-Aug-15 09:03:48

I'm pregnant with DS2 and didn't feel much until after 20 weeks both times. Even though people say you should feel the second much sooner.
I think, if I'm honest, there were maybe strange sensations from about 17 weeks both times but they didn't register as 'movement' to me. It just felt like usual stomach stuff.

I started to panic by being asked all the time too. It increased the pressure I had ready put on myself. I started saying "maybe" and "I can't be sure but think something feels different." That seemed to pacify those who wouldn't give up asking!

newbian Wed 05-Aug-15 09:06:03

Oh and to your DH, mine didn't feel the baby's movements on the outside until 25 weeks. I'd be telling him "She's going - touch now!" and he couldn't pick it up before than. So he has to be patient too and get off your case!

Aaagghmen Wed 05-Aug-15 09:38:18

Thanks everyone, it's good to know. Dh says he gets it now and hasn't asked in the last 5 minutes �� so hopefully that's sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now