Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Belly button and surrounding area is sore / sensitive - is this the norm?

(3 Posts)
misssmilla1 Fri 31-Jul-15 17:10:05

I'm 32 weeks and for the last 6 weeks or so, on and off, the skin and area around my belly button in about a 5cm square has been really sensitive to the point of soreness, where I've nearly punched DH in the face every time he tried to rub my belly blush (granted, I have told him not to do this and why, about 1000 times)

There's no obvious sign of a rash / skin stretched too thin etc, and I spoke to my Dr last week who said it was probably normal with the stretching etc, but I should keep an eye out in case it turned in to an umbilical hernia, which I then foolishly googled shock

In the last couple of days it's got worse, with yesterday throwing in itching, the only way to remedy it was in the shower with one of those shower puff things. The itching has eased off, but i woke up with what feels like muscle soreness on one side

I can't work out whether it's because the baby has moved (there's a a definite shift gone on in the last 24 hours) or something else. Everything else seems to be fine (movements are normal etc) but after my googling I'm now convinced it's something weird (as always, bless the internet)

Has anyone had similar? If so, did it go away / what did you use to try and ease it off?

Clairejessica123 Fri 31-Jul-15 21:23:38

I'm currently almost 26 weeks and have been very tender down the centre panel of my stomach including my belly button. I assume it's the muscles moving. Again like you it's sore to touch and feels very achy. Not much help but right now I just try to wear clothes that sit under bump and avoid touching. Warm baths help a little

Doublebubblebubble Fri 31-Jul-15 21:35:18

My belly button is non-existent flat. There is no point to it any longer, literally. It also looks like there is a massive bruise underneath the skin (its just stretch marks -joy) my mother got an umbilical hernia when she was pregnant with my brother in 1989, she thought that it was a normal side effect of pregnancy and didn't get it fixed until she went in to have a hysterectomy and was told "that isn't right" and she had it fixed. She was always very self conscious of it. (she's fine now she says to people she had a tummy tuck whilst she was having the hysterectomy lol)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now