Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

IUI - Empty sac - 6 weeks?

(12 Posts)
flyingbex Tue 28-Jul-15 20:50:59

I had IUI on the 24th June so i'm not sure how far along I am. Will they go on LMP or date of IUI? I've had 3 lots of really bad pains recently and am worried about another mc.. My first hcg level was 59, two days later was 393, this was around 2 weeks ago. I went for blood tests yesterday and my levels are now 9,787. Today I went for an early scan and the sac was empty and a cyst was seen on my left ovary. They also said the size of the sac is around 5 weeks. If they go on date of IUI, then i'm not quite 5 weeks, so it sounds right that the sac measures 5 weeks. How can my levels be so high? Yet an empty sac? Is this another mc? The hospital can't rule out eptopic but surely I would have bleeding and severe pain on a regular basis.. Perhaps it's a slow starter or i'm not as far along as the hospital think? I haven't been back to the clinic where I had the IUI done so perhaps the hospital is wrong and when I go back tomorrow there will be a foetal pole.. My boobs are still sore, starting to feel sick and very tired come the afternoon. I've been taking cyclogest until recently. Any help gratefully received

Junosmum Tue 28-Jul-15 21:05:34

Was the scan trans-abdominal or vaginal? It's entirely possible that it's too early to see anything. Did they book you in for another in a week or 2?

CanISayOfHerFace Tue 28-Jul-15 21:13:36

At my clinic it was IUI plus two weeks to measure how far along you are so 7 weeks tomorrow.

Are you going back to where you had the IUI done tomorrow? I hope you get some good news flowers

sarkymare Tue 28-Jul-15 21:14:15

I am curious as to why they are scanning you again tomorrow if your scan was only today. How much growth are they hoping for overnight? I think it would cause more worry than reassurance IMO. Usually you would be rescanned a week or two later as there is nothing much to be seen before 6-7 weeks anyway.

In any case your dates seem about right to me and remember the rate in which HCG rises varies a lot between pregnancies so your high level of HCG doesn't really indicate a problem either.

Try to relax and good luck x

flyingbex Tue 28-Jul-15 21:31:32

I had both types of scan but the one over the tummy was pointless as my bowel was in the way. I've no idea why they are scanning again tomorrow. I wasn't taking that part in tbh. I'm back at my local hospital but going to call my clinic tomorrow and ask them. I'm so confused. Thank you for replying, it's a horrible time as I'm doing this alone

RooibosTeaAgain Tue 28-Jul-15 22:51:56

Early scans are stressful.
If it helps I had an empty gestational sac and told 5 weeks. But have to wait 3 weeks for another scan on NHS and they refuse to do blood tests so cannot know what my levels are or if they have doubled etc. the consultant said should see a heartbeat by 8 weeks and no point testing before then as I would just worry and there is nothing they can do so early on ( had a stillbirth in last pregnancy hence 2 earlier scans ).
I could go for private scans ( did in last pregnancy) but am trying not to as comparing growth every few days would stress me more. In early weeks a gestational sac grows 1mm a day ( mine was 11mm) I was told.

Hope tomorrow is positive news - definitely the blood tests are good. And if not hope they can reassure you that things can change in a week or two' time even if not in a day.

flyingbex Wed 29-Jul-15 08:18:06

Thank you. I'm sorry to hear your story and thank you for telling me x

cheezypeas Wed 29-Jul-15 11:14:39

With both my pregnancies I've had early scans with not much showing at 5 weeks, and then 2 weeks later a babe had appeared! I very much hope all turs out OK for you xx

flyingbex Wed 29-Jul-15 11:40:51

Thank you cheezypeas.. Had a blood test for hcg this morning so when I go for my scan later, hopefully the levels will have gone up at least. I'm not expecting to see anything today as it would only have been 24 hours since my last scan x

Hophop987 Wed 29-Jul-15 14:36:17

It is very likely that you are just at the very start of your pregnancy.
My hcg was nearly 8000 and the sac was empty. 2 days later they scanned again and they could see fetal pole,then another 2 weeks later there was a baby and we could see heartbeat. All is well and I'm due in 4 days.
Fingers crossed all will go well for you!

flyingbex Wed 29-Jul-15 16:40:10

I'm back from the hospital and all is looking ok. Empty sac still but they have now said i'm only really about 5 weeks due to the fact I had IUI.. Back for another scan in 2 weeks but feeling much happier the hospital have said it's far too early to see anything.. Thank you all x

flyingbex Wed 12-Aug-15 17:34:29

I had a second scan today and the hospital are still saying the sac is empty, they can't even see a yolk sac.. They said they should have seen a change by now and to prepare for a bleed. I was offered a D&C but I said no in case they are wrong.. I'm going for a 3rd scan on the 21st to look again and to see what to do next.. Can anyone give me advice, good or bad? I'm frustrated and devastated.. No bleeding and no pain.. Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now