Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this a form of 'baby brain' or am I going mad?

(13 Posts)
Frillsandspills Sun 19-Jul-15 12:05:31

I'd say from really early on I've had some form of baby brain. Mainly just being forgetful when it comes to where I've left things however it could be down to tiredness and lack of concentration on anything other than me being pregnant.

I'm now 18 weeks and I've noticed as of late I just can't spell properly. Of course I'll be double checking this before posting but when messaging friends for example I've been saying 'good look' rather than luck, and 'right' instead of 'write'. That sort of thing. It never usually happens and I'm wondering if this is baby brain and it will pass..

I've also noticed I've been writing things backwards, so in my head if I was thinking "I'm going to take the dogs to the park" I'll write (on a text message) "I'm going to dogs the take to the park"

It's probably my mind on overtime at the minute but did anyone else have this form of 'baby brain' or anything similar?

I must mention I've been quite dozy about everything lately. I went to the hospital and had an internal examination and when the doctor left the room so I could put my clothes back on I COMPLETELY forgot to put my pants on and just put my shoes on. It was only when I felt the breeze on my backside I realised I'd completely ignored my underwear and pants lying on the floor. Luckily I noticed before the doctor came back in.

roughtyping Sun 19-Jul-15 12:13:34

It may just be over tiredness. Your body's working hard just now, I'm 24 weeks and haven't slept very well all through so far, and I am normally fatigued a lot anyway so have been experiencing a lot of the things you've said!

Guitargirl Sun 19-Jul-15 12:22:05

It could be hormonal changes. I have noticed that my boss - who is going through the menopause but otherwise healthy as far as I know - doing similarly odd things with words/language. She has also become totally incapable of following directions/maps/instructions. I am about 10 years younger - so not looking forward to menopause...

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 19-Jul-15 12:24:26

grin Yes, it's the pregnancy hormones. It's awful. I've done the "card left in the atm" and "pots in the fridge" dyring and after the pregnancy.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 19-Jul-15 12:24:46

grin Yes, it's the pregnancy hormones. It's awful. I've done the "card left in the atm" and "pots in the fridge" dyring and after the pregnancy.

Frillsandspills Sun 19-Jul-15 12:28:24

Thanks everyone! I genuinely thought I'd developed dyslexia or something. It probably is down to not having enough sleep and hormonal changes.. My mum is going through menopause and she's a little bit forgetful, although with things that are really easy to forget but because it's my mum, who is VERY organise and forgets nothing, we all pick up on it!

Skiptonlass Sun 19-Jul-15 13:38:59

I've been doing something similar - I no longer live in the UK and am sometimes having to reach for words if I'm speaking in English. It's very odd.

ExcitedA3 Sun 19-Jul-15 14:13:16

Haha I ask the husband to vacuum the grass all the time... And always ask which par cark we are going to park in! Haha

Doublebubblebubble Sun 19-Jul-15 15:03:56

I think that's completely normal - I put my passport in my freezer - god knows why lol it will pass in time. As others have said your body is working double time and your brain is racing to catch up with it x

Frillsandspills Sun 19-Jul-15 15:07:34

Ha ha I love the baby brain stories!grin
thank you for the reassurance!

soloula Sun 19-Jul-15 16:52:53

Ive tried to open the front door with the car keys. Was stood there pressing the button on the key fob for a good minute or two before I realised why I wasn't getting anywhere.

MissMartin10 Sun 19-Jul-15 18:57:12

i had to fill out my doctors note and i forgot how to spell my middle name infront of a colleague.. it was embarrassing blush

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 19-Jul-15 19:44:13

You'll be fine just don't forget the baby in the shop/ car/ at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now